Put my TrailBlazer in gear but won't move

mary B

Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
Picayune, ms
Was going down the road an hear a little noise an hit the gas an all it would do is Rev up. Had towed home, the shifter works fine when I put it in any of the gears it want move. It makes a little noise under where thettransmission is but it only makes it some times when I start it up. Never had any problems with it before this was all of a sudden. Anyone can help me out with what it could be. Thanks

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'd check the fluid level and condition first. It may then need a pan drop to check for any bits or stuff in there.

It if is making bad sounds though it could be the torque converter or the transmission itself grenaded inside :frown:

Reactions: mary B

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If your fluid looks good, with no metal bits I would look into a shift solenoid.

You can try to select "2" and see if it moves as the trans will start in 2nd when selected. If this happens you can swap solenoids and see if it moves in first then you know what the problem is.

The fact you're hearing a noise could point to other problems....hopefully not.

Reactions: Sparky

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
Was going down the road an hear a little noise an hit the gas an all it would do is Rev up. Had towed home, the shifter works fine when I put it in any of the gears it want move. It makes a little noise under where thettransmission is but it only makes it some times when I start it up. Never had any problems with it before this was all of a sudden. Anyone can help me out with what it could be. Thanks

No go in all gears... acts like its in neutral in any gear?

Check the fluid level in the trans, then start the car and check the dip stick again while its running. If the fluid drops down the pump is working, if not the pump has failed.

Reactions: AtlWrk

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Check the transfer case encoder motor also, make sure it's not in neutral. ..this is not the neutral in the transmission.

Try turning the selector to 4Hi amd while the trans selector is in neutral, try engaging 4LO then back to 2Hi.

Can't imagine the transfer case is in neutral but I've heard of stranger things.

Reactions: yazan

forrestnummy

Oct 6, 2013
If the flexplate shattered then, it would do what you are talking about. We do have an issue with them too. I already have a new one to install, just gotta get around to a tranny pull, feeling. Im not really feeling it right now.

Just double check that the actual shifter is attached to the tranny, from under the car. There is a little plastic piece that holds the shifter, onto the tranny, and when it falls off, you cant do anything. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHRUQEK/?tag=gmtnation-20
If that part is ok and still working, I would really think about the flexplate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbabob

DonnyDrywall

Nov 26, 2013
Every time I've had this issue (91 Firebird, 88 GMC C1500, 01 Silverado, 96 Jimmy) Its been the Transmission Pump. Most recently it was in the C1500. I backed out of my driveway, shift into drive and about 200 ft down the road it "let go". From that point all it would do in any gear is very slightly lurch forward. This was about 6 years ago and I think the trans shop charged me around $700.00 for the fix.

Last edited:

forrestnummy

Oct 6, 2013
Hummm. Is there any leak around where the torque converter is? There should be a little metal circle plate, (about the size of a quarter) that you can take off to see "check" the flexplates, teeth.

Was this the noise that you were hearing, before it stopped going into gear?

mary B

Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
Picayune, ms
So that isn't a good sign

Does that mean it is the transmission or could it be something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Prior to this, did the rpms ever try to raise when you stepped on the gas at a cruising speed with no acceleration? When I say raise....I mean about 2K rpms more than what was showing?

Did you try using 4Hi or 4LO yet?

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
That "glitter" sounds like metal shavings. Usually means something in the transmission. Mine did the same thing and ended up being the transmission pump. How many miles are on it?

mary B

Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
Picayune, ms
Prior to this, did the rpms ever try to raise when you stepped on the gas at a cruising speed with no acceleration? When I say raise....I mean about 2K rpms more than what was showing?

Did you try using 4Hi or 4LO yet?
No It never did that with the rpms. Yeah I tried the 4 hi an lo but still nothing

That "glitter" sounds like metal shavings. Usually means something in the transmission. Mine did the same thing and ended up being the transmission pump. How many miles are on it?
220,000 miles are on It

Last edited by a moderator:

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
With that many miles, I can almost guarantee that it needs a rebuild. Especially since you are seeing "glitter" in the fluid. From what I have read, these transmission typically last around 150k miles. Of course, this could be more or less depending on how it is treated and maintained.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
did you actually check the shifter linkage at the transmission to ensure that it isn't broken / disconnected (common problem)?

As for "glitter", likely friction material in the fluid. Significant amounts would be bad, some not so much. What did the transmission magnet look like when you changed the fluid?

Lastly, did the fluid level change from "not running level" to "running level"... it should, if the pump is doing something (which can also be checked by disconnecting a line at the rad and see if fluid "pumps out" when running).

Reactions: forrestnummy

filthyfingers

Lifetime VIP Donor
Apr 7, 2012
Shifter linkage Clip is gone! Made it home by vise gripping the assembly together. Where do I get a new clip and bushing? The dealer?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Reactions: C-ya

forrestnummy

Oct 6, 2013
True. I've seen a rivot too. The link I put above to Amazon are the same bushing on eBay. It's not the cable. Just bushing.

filthyfingers

Lifetime VIP Donor
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks guys. The Dorman 14055 bushing for nine bucks via Amazon Prime looks good to me. It's the "circlip" retainer that's gone. I'll hit the hardware store today.

filthyfingers

Lifetime VIP Donor
Apr 7, 2012
Ok now I get it, I think. The bushing is a two piece press fit. No retaining ring or other fasteners needed. Right?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The plastic ones are press fit, the metal one uses an E clip.

forrestnummy

Oct 6, 2013
Yes the plastic ones are very snug. Takes a little patience to get them in. I did use a little grease to get it on. I thought I was going to break it but it is a very sturdy piece of plastic. I have seen the metal version and it is nice, but it did start to rust pretty quick, so I don't know how long it would hold up?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have seen the metal version and it is nice, but it did start to rust pretty quick,

What's your definition of quick? I've had mine for almost 3 years now, still in great condition. Although I don't see the salt that the northern folks do, it sees plenty of water all summer from our rainy season. :twocents:

20160705_171929.jpg

Reactions: forrestnummy
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I'm chiming in for a kind of silly reason, but can one of the mods PEASE change the title of this thread to Trailblazer..it's been bugging me like crazy.

If you mash on the throttle with it knowingly IN GEAR, I would presume then that after 220k miles and a "glitter" type condition of the fluid it's likely eating something up inside and is itching for a rebuild.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: therealsethallen

forrestnummy

Oct 6, 2013
What's your definition of quick? I've had mine for almost 3 years now, still in great condition. Although I don't see the salt that the northern folks do, it sees plenty of water all summer from our rainy season. :twocents:

20160705_171929.jpg

WTH!? Yea, not at all what I had seen. What I saw, was more like a big rivot. That is more solid. If it breaks, or the cable breaks, is it fairly easy to remove?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
WTH!? Yea, not at all what I had seen. What I saw, was more like a big rivot. That is more solid. If it breaks, or the cable breaks, is it fairly easy to remove?

Very easy to remove, on the transmission side, is a small E clip securing it between the cable and lever. Just need a pick tool to pull it free. :thumbsup:

20140104_130635_zpswksvdzhs.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online