ANNOUNCEMENT Push Notifications

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
With the removal of Tapatalk today, we've received some feedback from those who liked using the app to browse our forums. We've vowed to do our best to make our mobile browsing experience as enjoyable as we can, and this should please some of the nay-sayers.

We're implementing push notifications forum-wide. You're able to received push notifications to your browser, tablet, and smartphone if you so choose. There are a few options that will allow you to pick which notifications you'd like to receive and on which devices you'd like to receive them.

Details:
  • iPhone and Android users have two choices: Pushover and/or Pushbullet
  • Pushover seems to be the more mature app, but after a 7 day trial, it costs $5 (one time)
  • Pushbullet is free (for now at least) and from my research, it does the job
  • Supports alerts for posts, threads, likes, & conversations (PMs)
  • You must signup on either of the two service provider's websites to get your "key"
  • This option is available to all registered members
Instructions:
Choose your provider: Pushover or Pushbullet

Pushover
  1. For Pushover (7-day trial for app, then $4.99 one-time fee, free service)
  2. Signup at https://pushover.net/login
  3. Setup your account, add your device(s)
  4. Download Pushover onto your smartphone from from the App Store or Play Store
  5. Sign into the app and follow on-screen instructions
  6. GO HERE and associate your GMTNation account with Pushover
  7. Paste the "User Key" from your Pushover account and save
  8. DONE!
Pushbullet
  1. For Pushbullet (free app and service)
  2. Sign in at https://www.pushbullet.com/signin?next=/
  3. Setup your account, add your device(s)
  4. Download Pushbullet onto your smartphone from the App Store or Play Store
  5. Sign into the app
  6. GO HERE and associate your GMTNation account with Pushbullet
  7. DONE!
You can also search for Pushover and/or Pushbullet extensions for Firefox and Chrome on your desktop browser for instant notifications. More to come!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Step #6 for pushbullet takes me here, how do I add an external account except for fb?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-13-20-32-24.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-13-20-32-24.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Thank you sir, got it. Surprisingly simple, haven't gotten any notifications to see about how it performs though. I'll let you know.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
="Jman423, post: 468309, member: 1"]Here's a quote... let me know if it alerts you.
Try it again, I had post and thread notifications turned off assuming that would give me a notification for every post in every thread I'm subbed to.

Also, to change those settings I had to disassociate then re-associate with pushbullet to get the list. Not sure if there is a more straight forward way or not but it wasn't hard to do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online