Pull to the Left when Accelerating and Under Hard Braking

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, my Trailblazer finally got some new power steering lines, which means I finally began to drive it. Unfortunately, the ride quality is not what I expected. It has 171k on it and my mechanic told me it looks "really decent" for 170k.

Backstory. This thing has been siting since at least late-ish 2015.
It was parked because the tranny went out. It is fine now. But it sat until August.
When I drove it to work for the first time, it rode fine. It goes down the road. If it bit flobbery. That will be fixed later.
I went to accelerate into a climbing lane on the way home today. Was doing around 55 when I entered the hill. I nailed the gas and the thing damn near pushed me into the next lane.
Now, my mechanic did look it over and it does look solid underneath. I have not taken it for alignment yet as I plan to transplant my struts and shocks and do a leveling kit.

Secondly, it pulls similarly when you brake hard. Like in traffic or when coming down the hill on the road I live on, though it is not contained to hilly roads.

So, thoughts?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd definitely take it in for an alignment. Did he also check the rear suspension?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was thinking maybe a bad bushing or broken rear arm might do it under acceleration. The alignment should make all is good. Make sure you let the shop know what happened.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I was thinking maybe a bad bushing or broken rear arm might do it under acceleration. The alignment should make all is good. Make sure you let the shop know what happened.

Yeah I'll have my service department at work do it. I'm going to get the front suspension stuff off the 9-7x first.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Broken rear right upper arm will cause it to shove you to the right when accelerating (I know this from experience).

Broken rear left upper arm isn't as noticeable but may cause wrap pushing you left some (again, experience).

Never had a broken rear lower arm. Those are tubular and less prone to failure.

LouisTB

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
I would also check the brakes make sure none of the calipers are seized, which can cause a pull to the left or right while braking depending on the side it's on.

Reactions: Redbeard

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, uh. As it turns out it was a broken right side upper control arm. My mechanic didn't check the rear suspension. I brought it in this morning for rear brakes and when they pulled the wheel, alas a broken upper control arm. Which has been broken for some time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, so much for thorough checks huh? At least now you know.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Good thing is those are cheap enough and easy enough to replace. Inspect the other side upper for wear/fatigue/rot, and maybe consider doing both.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Good thing is those are cheap enough and easy enough to replace. Inspect the other side upper for wear/fatigue/rot, and maybe consider doing both.

Smacked it a good few times with a hammer. Seems perfectly fine. Will remove the Saablazer's just in case.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online