SOLVED! Pukes fuel when filling

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Something that I'm sure happens quite a bit but isn't talked about much on the internet. This is an issue that can affect most full size trucks and possibly just about any vehicle out there.

Issue: When filling the gas tank, the pump handle clicks off however fuel then spews out of the filler, as per this video:

This was on my 08 Avalanche.

Diagnostic: So I did the usual suspects of fueling issues. Checked the filler hose, replaced the tank vent valve with an updated one, replaced the charcoal canister, which was full of gas. Problem persisted. Had to be careful whenever filling it as I did not want to ruin this new charcoal canister as the tank would be in an overfilled condition and would suck in raw fuel, as per the my old canister full of fuel.

From research I did, apparently this is caused by a defective overfill/rollover valve in the tank. After getting another used tank, I could feel that valve right at the filler neck in the tank. It is easily pushed in with a finger. On my old tank, this valve was missing and rolling around inside. So this can serve as a quick check before doing anything else for this particular problem by pulling the fuel filler hose and checking for this valve.

Remedy: The tank has to be replaced as the valve and neck are permanently attached to it.

This would apply to Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, Silverados, Sierras, etc.

Hope this helps you. If it does, please say thanks!

Last edited:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Thanks but, those Google vids are a bit of a hassle.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So for those having issues with the videos.

And

Reactions: northcreek

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online