PSI PSI PSI PSI.........

gmtofd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Driving back from visiting on Christmas Eve in the wife's Saab and there's this audio alert that is presumed to be about tire pressure monitoring because it keeps repeating PSI, PSI, PSI PSI...... for a good half hour. The wife says that it has happened before, but normally by just cycling the ign key, it would shut off the PSI, PSI alert. Tires are at the air pressure, but more importantly there's nothing in the owner's manual about such a thing as an TPM audio alert feature. The PSI, PSI warning is there whether the radio is on or not, with the PSI voice coming from only the left front door speaker.

Assembly date is 12/08.

Are there any other Saabs with a PSI audio warning feature?

Any one out there have an idea of how to disable it?

Thanks for any response.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I know you said the tires were properly inflated but was the tire pressure light on? Does it flash on startup? It's ten years old and those coin cell batteries only last so long. If the tire pressure light is flashing (indicating a bad sensor/loss of coms with a sensor) then I could think one tire is at 0psi and reactively freak out like that.

That's my theory anyways, that is, if you've indeed lost a sensor. But then again I'm not all that familiar with the Saabs.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Agree , you probably have at least 1 dead sensor . If its 10 years old and that bothers you then it's time to replace all 4 sensors at anywhere from $35-60 a piece plus installation . All audible alerts only come out the drivers side door speaker, this is normal . The PSI audible thing must be a SAAB feature, have never heard of audible alerts on other GM models .

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I get an "ice alert" on occassion but haven't figured out how or why the audible comes out. My guess is that the torque app hit on some bits somewhere in the settings area that cause something even when the app / tablet isn't even around. I know the app has a "bit" in the settings of the app for "audible alerts".

gmtofd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Ok, thanks for the responses. There are no TPM faults tripping the dashboard "tire" light. During the summer, one of the TPMs was replaced. As the DIC will indicate exactly which tire's TPM has a low battery or whatever problem, I just replace them when they go bad, which is normally not the best way to go but I have access to a tire machine and balancer, so am able to buy and replace TPM replacement myself. Suppose the question now is why is the audible alert being tripped, while there is no dashboard light illuminated? I'll pull and reseat the fuse for the TPM monitoring, to see if that eliminates the audible alert. Happy New Year and thanks again for the responses.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I get an "ice alert" on occassion but haven't figured out how or why the audible comes out. My guess is that the torque app hit on some bits somewhere in the settings area that cause something even when the app / tablet isn't even around. I know the app has a "bit" in the settings of the app for "audible alerts".
Torque has no bidirectional features as far as I know, meaning it can't activate any components of the vehicle (such as for testing a solenoid or actuator etc) nor the ability to change any settings. The audible alerts on there are just for the tablet/device you're using so if a sensor goes out of range like an overheating event it'll warn you audibly.

Ice alert should be tied to an ambient air temp sensor issue.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you are assuming that everything that a "non-maunufacturer / reverse engineered" interface does everything correct all of the time. Again, the "annoucement" does not happen all the time. It can happen when the tablet is connected to the system (which case, the tablet speaks) and also other times, including summer, when nothing, either the obd interface is not plugged in or the tablet isn't around. Its the only announcement that I have ever heard even though the "tpms" has "dic'ed" me many times. Anyway, I have never figured out the cause for operation.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The sensors don't cost that much if you know where to look. Ebay. Got 4 new OEM for $75.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online