PSA - If you've linked photobucket pics on trailvoy....

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
You should know that they are putting ads in your pics.:ugh:

This might be old news to some people but I just found out about this. Today I went on someone elses pc and Aarons pics in the 5901 sticky had ads. The pics had freaking ads. That sucks. I don't know how long that they have been doing this since I have abp on my computers.

746bf177.jpg

dc20c949.jpg

I have linked hundreds of pics over there in the last (almost 5) years. A good bit of the pics that I posted were technical stuff to help people. I didn't do it so that some greedy corporate suits can make money by placing advertisements in my pics. So, I am going to rename the necessary photobucket albums so that all of the pics that I have posted are removed from that site. Fortunately for me, most of the content that I have posted here are in new albums so the majority of what I have put up here won't be affected.

YOU can help the cause by finding your popular threads and renaming the pics (or folders) in your photobucket so that the pics that you contributed are removed.

Also, if you posted any butt crack pics, leave them there!:cool:

For anyone who is doing this and needs to have existing link(s) changed in their post(s) here, this is what you can do.

Jman423 said:
What you can do is quote your own post, edit the content, and PM the content to anyone on the staff. They'll take care of editing your post.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
MAY03LT said:
You should know that they are putting ads in your pics.:ugh:

This might be old news to some people but I just found out about this. Today I went on someone elses pc and Aarons pics in the 5901 sticky had ads. The pics had freaking ads. That sucks. I don't know how long that they have been doing this since I have abp on my computers.

I have linked hundreds of pics over there in the last (almost 5) years. A good bit of the pics that I posted were technical stuff to help people. I didn't do it so that some greedy corporate suits can make money by placing advertisements in my pics. So, I am going to rename the necessary photobucket albums so that all of the pics that I have posted are removed from that site. Fortunately for me, most of the content that I have posted here are in new albums so the majority of what I have put up here won't be affected.

YOU can help the cause by finding your popular threads and renaming the pics (or folders) in your photobucket so that the pics that you contributed are removed.

Also, if you posted any butt crack pics, leave them there!:cool:

Or folks can get themselves banned by changing their pictures to ad's for GMT Nation like I did! :thumbsup:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I'm on ignore so no one can see any of my post anyway.

I wish that was different.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
07 TB RIDER said:
I'm on ignore so no one can see any of my post anyway.

I wish that was different.

Definitely in the same boat

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
What a Joke! I was never really that useful there anyway so no worries on my side :rotfl:! Not that i'm MORE useful here but at least I'm trying :redface:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Regulator said:
Or folks can get themselves banned by changing their pictures to ad's for GMT Nation like I did! :thumbsup:
They banned me, but didn't put me on universal ignore, because I might have written a few posts useful for technical threads. :wink: So pictures that I change on my own hosting now to have an ad for GMTN now pop up in the middle of those threads. The gift that keeps on giving. :rotfl:

Ads added as an overlay to linked pictures is a new low, even for a bottom-feeder like VS.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I fired up my wifes ancient pc this morning and got some pics, they are now in the first post.

I could go and change the pics but there are just too many. Much easier to erase them with a few clicks.:cool:

b12a88e1.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
So all you do is just rename your album and/or individual pic that was previously posted and it gets deleted on the OS?.. good info.. gonna do that later on today.. the only thing I see posing a problem is I think all my pix will get deleted here too since my photobucket is just one big album since I don't have many pix...

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Boricua SS said:
So all you do is just rename your album and/or individual pic that was previously posted and it gets deleted on the OS?.. good info.. gonna do that later on today.. the only thing I see posing a problem is I think all my pix will get deleted here too since my photobucket is just one big album since I don't have many pix...

Yes sir! The rename folder option is good if you know that all of the content in that folder was only posted there. In your case though, that might do more harm then good (since all your pics are in one folder and the content is on both sites).

If you rename the pic, it will go from this..

8f825241.jpg

To this..

consolefix4.jpg

Note: the changes aren't immediate.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Me007gold said:
Can you do anything with your youtube videos? I know you have a bunch of them up there
I think he's edited in little overlays that mention GMTN. I've got a bigger problem with youtube, because like an asshat, I chose TRAILVOY as my username over there. Sigh......

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Regulator said:

So is that what you did!? I changed my profile to serve as a warning, but haven't changed my avatar yet.

the roadie said:
So pictures that I change on my own hosting now to have an ad for GMTN now pop up in the middle of those threads. The gift that keeps on giving. :rotfl:

Ads added as an overlay to linked pictures is a new low, even for a bottom-feeder like VS.

:rotfl:

Back on topic, I've been using Google photos and can't seem to get the link URL to the photo after the change to Google+.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Me007gold said:
Can you do anything with your youtube videos? I know you have a bunch of them up there

I did something with them.:wink:

Edit - it took a couple of minutes for the changes to go into effect.

6cc239ca.jpg

4a41e428.jpg

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Hobby said:
Note to self. Dont fuck with Mayo. He's a sneaky bastard :thumbsup:

What I did with my pics was polite compared to what regulator and roadie did with theirs!:rotfl:

Now I'm waiting for them to make a "please use attachments" plea.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
great info.. im going to try and go through all my old posts/threads on the OS and see what photos i have over there and not on here so i dont accidently delete them here too...

im going to have to let my brother (JosueLT) know as well as he has a lot of pix over on the OS... :tiphat:

Edit: what other sites are some of you using for pix storage... unless its just me, but photobucket really moves slowly for me..

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Boricua SS said:
Edit: what other sites are some of you using for pix storage...
$5 a month at Godaddy and many other hosts gets you your OWN SITE like my roadie.org. A hundred email addresses that don't depend on where you get your internet access from. Portable. Under your control. And you have excellent and unmetered bandwidth and 10 GB storage. Choose your own domain name.

Free is worth what you pay for it. It can disappear at any time, slow down, or get deleted for inactivity.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
They banned me, but didn't put me on universal ignore, because I might have written a few posts useful for technical threads. :wink: So pictures that I change on my own hosting now to have an ad for GMTN now pop up in the middle of those threads. The gift that keeps on giving. :rotfl:

That's cruel, but I like it.

Another site now owned by VS makes you watch an ad before showing you the CAPTCHA word you need to enter before you can send them a message. That is definitely low! I was going to donate to them but now, nope.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
I think he's edited in little overlays that mention GMTN. I've got a bigger problem with youtube, because like an asshat, I chose TRAILVOY as my username over there. Sigh......

Hindsightcatt128420580186177500.jpg

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Normally, I wouldn't condone these types of actions because of the "what goes around, comes around" law, but it occurs to me that this is "it" coming back around to VerticalScope. Have at it!! They don't deserve to make greedy profits on YOUR content contributions. Without you all, they would not have had reason to buy TrailVoy. YOUR experience and time/effort is what made that site the resource it is today, they did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to contribute to the resource. In fact, as evident by now, they have been the most counterproductive thing to happen to TrailVoy since its conception...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Too bad there isn't a way for us (that can still access our accounts) to delete our attachments. :duh:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Blckshdw said:
Too bad there isn't a way for us (that can still access our accounts) to delete our attachments. :duh:
They could always restore backups and recapture the deleted content. Otherwise we might have done that before being banned. Once you donate an image to a site as an attachment, which means they pay for the hosting, that copy is theirs.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Blckshdw said:

Usually, there is. You should check.

Go to your UserCP and look toward the bottom of the left column for "Attachments". Do it quick before a mole sees this post and asks the techies to fix that (which will add some valuable time for us).

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was messing with it earlier today. No options to make any type of changes to the attachments. Oh well... :frown:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well it worked :thumbsup:.. changed the name of the pix.. went and checked on the OS.. and Viola... no more pix :yes:

and Roadie.. thx for the info... but i dont keep enough photos online to pay for a service... so i'll just deal with photobucket... it does move faster for me in Firefox..

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
the roadie said:
$5 a month at Godaddy and many other hosts gets you your OWN SITE like my roadie.org. A hundred email addresses that don't depend on where you get your internet access from. Portable. Under your control. And you have excellent and unmetered bandwidth and 10 GB storage. Choose your own domain name.

Free is worth what you pay for it. It can disappear at any time, slow down, or get deleted for inactivity.

Just out of curiosity, do you host the website yourself, or do you use Godaddy's hosting services as well? Cause I have a webserver that I use, but haven't registered a domain or anything at this point yet. Just using dyndns right now.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
cody_s said:
Just out of curiosity, do you host the website yourself, or do you use Godaddy's hosting services as well?
Domain registration is a lot less than $5 a month. That's what Godaddy hosting costs. Seems to be the going rate for low cost hosting of vanity domains and small business, etc. I just chose Godaddy because I'm friends with their abuse manager (where spam reports go) and I really, really like their brash Superbowl commercials.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.