PS pump

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
The power steering pump in my 230k mi 4.2 is making a moaning noise. Other than the annoying noise it works fine.
At a recent car show I saw a pump which I presume was for a 350 chevy that looked like the one for the trailblazer.
Is that pump a common part among many GM engines? If so, what other engines have it?

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me if it is common between engines. A quick way may to check the part number over at RockAuto and then do a search on that part number and see how many other vehicles it hits on. Or use the part number on google and ask how many engines it fits for.
just my 2¢

Reactions: JerryIrons

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Likely not the same. Externally might be similar but internally there are likely differences like flow and pressure. I remember that there are even different part numbers between SWB and LWB 360's.

Reactions: JerryIrons

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Mine was whining for years, gradually getting worse. I finally changed it and wonder why I waited so long. Worked fine, no leaks, just that slight whine.

If you change your pump, it will likely not come with a new pulley, you will need one of these pulley removal and installer tool.

Screenshot_20200629-140212_Gallery.jpg

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
I can probably borrow one of those from a parts store. A large gear puller may work too.
The pump comes bare - no tank or pulley.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
A large gear puller may work too

You would still need to press the pulley back on, the tool I listed does both

I tried but couldn't get a bite on the groove with a larger puller, YMMV. I wouldn't try to grab the large diameter of the pulley to avoid deforming.

This is one of those jobs that the $35 tool is definitely worth it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
@Mektek I want to change my thoughts on this, so you don't possibly damage anything.

You do need the special tool.

You still need to press the pulley on, and you cannot simply "press it on", you could damage the pump. The tool grabs the inside threads of the pump shaft and does not apply force to the pump itself.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online