protecting your undercarriage from rust

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
For those in northern latitudes is there anything that you can recommend to keep the road salt from doing its devastating damage?

In preparation for this coming winter I decided to apply some black paint to all areas under my vehicle that seem get the most blasting from the road. I do not ever want to see rust popping out of my fender above my wheel well.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am an advocate of hitting up a touchless carwash at least once every two weeks. Specifically with undercarriage sprayers. Goes a long way.

Reactions: paul2005tb

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
paul2005tb said:
For those in northern latitudes is there anything that you can recommend to keep the road salt from doing its devastating damage?
Other than moving to Arizona. I agree with the others about hosing her off every chance you get. I brush painted my frame with Rustoleum "heavily rusted metal" primer followed by Rustoleum flat black. I wire brushed the rusted spots before and I have to say that after 3 years it has held up well and this is after two really bad winters...Mike.

Reactions: paul2005tb

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Have you guys never heard of Dinitrol and Tectyl treatments?.
Here in rustiful Sweden the cars wouldn't last for 10 years without it.

Take a look at http://www.tectylproducts.com

Edit: I had no idea what por15 was but after some research it seems like a must try product.

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Ok, my strategy going forward:

1) during winter months after road salt: Rinse the under side with a pressure hose.
2) every late spring / summer go around the vehicle check for rust spots, scrap and spray rustoleum rusty metal primer on the spots where rust is starting to form,
3) liberally apply a flat black paint over all areas where there is any sign of paint compromise.

Also, I noticed that a small little scratch on my door panel over a two winter period turned into a bubble with rust underneath. I cut out the "infection" and sanded the rusty metal and applied the rustoleum primer, building it up to level. I then applied a touchup spray paint that I got from autozone (they have a good selection of matches for GM cars). Good enough for me.

Reactions: xavierny25

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
There was a frame paint I used once, what you do is remove as much of the rust as possible then put this on any left over rust is neutralized. Sounds similar to the por15 tbh, probably is it actually. My mechanic said it was the most rust free trailblazer he's ever seen.

Edit: but I just hose off the under side with a garden hose in the winter. That stuff was used on a boat.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For those of us unfamiliar with the diminutive (But POWERFUL MAN) known as Andrew Camarata and the incredible Story of his “Hand-Made Steel Container Castle” situated and nearly dug into the side of a mountain in the Upstate New York Hudson Highlands, this "Rust-Proofing" Video is just one of his many jobs where he demonstrates what is possible when you think that you are capable of accomplishing ANYTHING… and really take actions to PROVE IT.

During this showing, Andrew and his Aging Labrador, “Levi” (RIP 06/06/2006 – 06/04/2021) puts his hands and efforts to installing a Pro Grade Snow Plow on his Diesel Chrysler Truck and after placing the vehicle up on his lift, demonstrates how to use a Hot Bees Wax Spray Mixture (AKA FLUID-FILM) to try and slow down the Rust and Rot caused by the Snow and Ice Bound, Salt Laden Roads around his very rugged and remote domain. Careful here…. Watching Andrew working on all of his Projects will soon become quite addicting!

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is a more dedicated On Topic Video from Andrew Camarata where he demonstrates anticipating the "Salty Ice & Snow Bound Roads" by first Pressure Washing the Exterior and Under-Carriages of his two vehicles AND his Skid Lift. Soon after he includes treating his Long Winter Tow Trailer, too.

He uses the Very Viscous FLUID FILM dipped out of a (5) Gallon Bucket of FLUID FILM and eventually employs an Electric Burner Pad to Heat the stuff up and then pour the Tan Mixture into a Pressure Paint Dispenser Gun. He then applies it all on quite thickly, spray coating this Gooey Stuff under those Rides in practically every Nook & Cranny.

Even without the help of using the kind of equipment he has access to, one can still use other means to elevate their SUVs & Trucks high enough to gain better exposure of their under-sides for this effort:

Last edited:

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
In May, I had the frame needlescaled, rust converted and NIH oil undercoating done. The company also cleaned and sprayed the inside of the frame.
I'm very happy with it as the rust is virtually gone, and so far, none has re appeared.
It was expensive, while needlescaling the frame 2 rust holes appeared by the gas tank and cat converter, they welded plates over them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online