FEEDBACK Proposal: Tech2 section

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With the proliferation of the Tech2 clones coming from China and the lack of actual information on how to really use it to its fullest, I propose that we start a section devoted to the Tech2. I know of at least two other members, as well as myself, who have Tech2's and I'm sure more are getting them so we could share our experiences and tips.

I read through a massive thread over at Saabcentral. Although it was a lot of good info, most of it gets lost because it's all in a single sticky thread and also some doesn't apply to GM, including my 9-7x. Lots of info for Saab, Opel and Vauxhall out there but I couldn't really find a lot for GM.

This section would cover all aspects of the Tech2, including purchase experiences, use, how-to's, accompanying software (TIS 2000 and GlobalTis), programming, hookup and repair of the unit. If it gets good enough, it could generate traffic here as the Saabcentral one is always at the top of searches for anything Tech2.

I would suggest putting it under the Electronics section since it applies to more than one platform.

So how about it? Can I get some yeas?

PS: I just had mine one day and had to change my underwear twice :salivate: :biggrin: :cool: :wooot: :thumbsup: :celebrate: :2thumbsup: :inlove:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I can support this idea!

Reactions: Denali n DOO

thor124

Jul 23, 2013
I wasn't aware that there were Tech2 clones - can someone elaborate, or provide a link? I have an Bluetooth OBDII adapter, and Torque for my Android devices, but it can't do some thing's I'd like to be able to do (ie anything w/the HVAC system).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bought $400 on ebay. Just search for one on there.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How's $276 delivered? I actually got it for $262 when he had a 5% off sale. I just bought it along with an extra card for Saab (which I didn't need but wasn't sure) from this seller:
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6662224465.html?orderId=67210751966207

On top of that, he declared the value as just $45 so my total for taxes and import fee was just $23. Sweet!

Smooth as glass transaction and he answered my questions quickly. Others didn't respond at all. No carrying case but I found one of my old laptop bags that's perfect for the job. I also had an old XP laptop with a serial port for the included TIS2000 software.

Here's what I've done in one day:
- Updated the PCM (corrected a decel shudder issue)
- Updated the DDM
- Updated the PDM (corrected an occasional no power issue, thought it was defective)
- Updated ABS and Stabilitrak
- Found the reason why one of my keys won't start the truck (chip is dead)
- Tested the fan, it works only partially, At idle, won't spin faster even when commanded
- Had fun just looking at stuff and turning stuff on and off using the tool.

Next week, I'm helping a buddy with his 05 Montana that hasn't started for 3 years. Seems to be a security related issue but now I'll be able to pinpoint it and if I have to replace a module, will be able to reprogram it.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I can get behind this. Just to make sure I am correct, Under Entertainment and Electronics we want a dedicated Tech 2 Forum... No other tuners? Or do we want a Tuners section that we put all Tech2, HPTuners and EFI into?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would think tuning in general could go under there, really.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I think tech2 by itself and then a tuning section which could also include PCMofNC discussions.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
PCMofNC has a forum in the vendor's area.

HPTuners can do some of the stuff that a Tech 2 does. I see that starting a Tech 2 forum on it's own it may not get that much traffic. Yet a Tuner section for those that have them including the Mac and Snap-on they can all be rolled into a single location. Maybe require, or have some pre-fixes that would be for each one.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or how about a whole new category for on-board diagnostics and controls and then separate into sections for the Tech2, another for Tuning (i.e. HPTuners, PCMofNC LimeSwap), another for code readers. But then again, we could have all those together. Just have to tag stuff specifically for Tech2.

Maybe just getting ahead of ourselves here. Lets start with just Tech2 and go from there. The Tech2 doesn't do tuning. It can only update using official GM programming files and do a lot of troubleshooting..

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I like the new category idea... What all do we want to populate it with. I don't think we should have troubleshooting of vehicle codes in there unless it is related directly to your programming. They should be geared more to sharing how and what you are doing with the tools.

Reactions: MAY03LT

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. Codes related to specific problems can stay with their particular technical section as it is now. Only thing code related would be how to pull codes but this would pretty basic stuff which can be done with any code reader. If there is anything that needs to be reprogrammed (i.e. a replaced BCM), then we can refer back to the new category/section with specific instructions. We just want to keep specific instructions using the Tech2 or other programmers in one place.

As an example, someone just posted on how to reprogram an odometer with another tool, something even the mighty Tech2 can't do except on new replacement clusters.

Reactions: djthumper

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have a small start on things last night. Once we get things set-up we may need more input to get things completely setup.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Anything I can to assist, just ask.

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
Great concept can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online