Proper TPMS pressure?

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
So I was driving down the interstate the other day and my "Tire Pressure" light starts flashing on my dash and then turns solid. I pull into the next gas station and check my pressures, and they were all at 35 psi or higher. On stock tires, I'm pretty sure this is a good pressure (according to the tire placard on the B frame), so why did my light turn on? Is there a minimum pressure to keep the TPMS happy? I put a few shots into each tire, and the light was off when I started the truck, but I don't know if that's because of the extra shots or if a fault was reset by my restarting the truck (like the funky stabilitrak light bug).

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
35 is correct. Not sure why it would have turned on aside from a system fault.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Your TPMS light will flash for one minute then go solid when there is a malfunction detected in the system. With my TPMS, the light will come on when the tires are 10% or more under inflated from the spec on the sticker by the driver's door.

The other reason why the light will come on is that one or more TPMS sensors can no longer detect a PSI in one or more of the tires. Do you have a DIC? If so, when the light starts flashing, go into the DIC to the tire psi. You can scroll through all four tires. Most likely, you will get to one tire and it will show "- - " on the DIC. Meaning the system is not getting any reading back from the TPMS for that sensor.

From what I have read, the life span of a TPMS sensor is 7-8 years before the battery starts to deteriorate causing the sensor to fail and lose signal. The batteries are internal to the sensor and you cannot just replace the battery. If you have to replace one TPMS sensor, it is recommended to replace all (4) of the sensors at the same time. I just had to replace mine last year due to the same issue you are describing. This issue happened a lot to me during the winter months as the sensor was affected more.

Next time you have the flashing light, scroll through your DIC (if you have one) and see which sensor is not reading.

Do you know how to do the manual relearn process for the TPMS sensors? Every time you rotate your tires, you have to do the relearn process so the system knows where each sensor is located in order to provide you an accurate reading in the DIC when you get a low pressure warning or scrolling looking at tire pressures. This same process can be used when installing new TPMS sensors as well.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm having the same issue myself. Now I'm thinking I should of replaced them when I put new tires on my Envoy. But if I recall Mavis tires wanted way more then I thought it was worth to replace them. BTW how do u manually relearn the TPMS sensors?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
It is not a bad idea to replace all of the TPMS sensors if they are 7-8 years old and your TPMS light is randomly flashing on the dash due to losing signal. Make sure if you pick up new sensors, you also buy new locking nuts as well. Old ones get corroded.

Below is a link to a thread I started for the manual relearn. Pretty simple. A tire shop can do the relearn as well with their wireless tool, but usually charge $10-$15 for the service.

I found all (4) sensors and lock nuts on EBay for $140. One of my local tire shops wanted $280. You are better off finding new sensors/lock nuts online and taking them to a tire shop for install.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/10242-tpms-sensor-relearn-matching/#entry238091

***Edit, Might as well throw some part numbers out there. If you look on the data plate in your glove box and see the RPO code "UJ6", then you are looking for part# 25774006 for the TPMS sensor. I do not have a part number for the locking nuts, but sometimes they are included. I believe Amazon sells them separately.***

Reactions: Blckshdw

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
One of mine failed last year. I got an ACDelco replacement off Amazon for $30.00.

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
I might look into replacing the sensors. As far as I know, they're still the ones that came with the truck from the factory (2008), so maybe they're just wearing out.

I don't have a DIC, so I can't check any of the codes without an OBD2 reader, but the light hasn't given me trouble in the days since it lit up, so I can't get a code anyway.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If I had just the light and no DIC with TPMS I'd just cover or break out the light so it doesn't bother me anymore and revert to checking tire pressure manually like I've always done lol. Unless it dings at you incessantly too or something equally annoying.

My silverado has TPMS but it has a DIC so I can't just bust the light as the dash will still yell at me anyway. That system had better not lose its marbles anytime soon. Nanny nag systems can really irritate me.

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Sparky said:
If I had just the light and no DIC with TPMS I'd just cover or break out the light so it doesn't bother me anymore and revert to checking tire pressure manually like I've always done lol. Unless it dings at you incessantly too or something equally annoying.

My silverado has TPMS but it has a DIC so I can't just bust the light as the dash will still yell at me anyway. That system had better not lose its marbles anytime soon. Nanny nag systems can really irritate me.
I was listening to music at the time the light went on, and I got off at the next exit, so I honestly can't tell you if there was an audible reminder. Maybe if I'd let it go for longer, there would have been. I'll keep an eye on it for a while.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Some times the light will go out once the TPMS regains a signal from the sensor. That is a PITA to have the TPMS and no DIC. You are left in the dark when the light flashes on the dash and almost forced to pull over just in case. I could at least see that I was not getting a reading from one of the sensors or if my left front tire is at 27psi.

I know after market TPMS systems come with a wireless monitor. I wonder if any of those monitors could be used with the existing TPMS so you could have a visual display of your tire pressure :undecided:

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
dmanns67 said:
Some times the light will go out once the TPMS regains a signal from the sensor. That is a PITA to have the TPMS and no DIC. You are left in the dark when the light flashes on the dash and almost forced to pull over just in case. I could at least see that I was not getting a reading from one of the sensors or if my left front tire is at 27psi.

I know after market TPMS systems come with a wireless monitor. I wonder if any of those monitors could be used with the existing TPMS so you could have a visual display of your tire pressure :undecided:
That sounds like a lot of work :tongue:

Does anyone know if an OBDII sensor will read TPMS codes? I have a small ELM plugin, but it doesn't do airbag or brake codes. If it reads the TPMS, I'll open Torque next time the light comes on.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Doubt it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Try Car Gauge Pro for Android. It does pretty much all codes on GM vehicles so it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Buy it ($5), try it and if it doesn't work, get a refund within the 10 minutes.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I did a little searching and there are tools out there that can read your tire pressure from the obdii. Cheapest one that I found was about $150. Could not find anything on apps or wireless obdii connectors. GM should have not been cheap and put a DIC on every GMT. Makes life a lot easier.

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
dmanns67 said:
I did a little searching and there are tools out there that can read your tire pressure from the obdii. Cheapest one that I found was about $150. Could not find anything on apps or wireless obdii connectors. GM should have not been cheap and put a DIC on every GMT. Makes life a lot easier.
Way too much for me to rarely check it. I'll just wait. And plan my revenge.

Reactions: dmanns67

Kyle

Jun 9, 2015
My TPMS has been going nuts for about a year. No DIC.. Just tried doing a relearn and no dice.. Can't even get the LF to register.. I'm guessing they are all dead.. :hissyfit:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I`ve had all four fail on my new 08 Montana SV6, replaced under warranty. After a few years, they can fail, usually for dead batteries. I did find at the time a set of new take-offs for my winter wheels on eBay at a good price. After one of the stems broke, I priced a few locally and the dealer was cheaper.

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Mooseman said:
I`ve had all four fail on my new 08 Montana SV6, replaced under warranty. After a few years, they can fail, usually for dead batteries. I did find at the time a set of new take-offs for my winter wheels on eBay at a good price. After one of the stems broke, I priced a few locally and the dealer was cheaper.
Is there any way of just replacing the battery, or does the entire unit need to be replaced?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
LilMule said:
Is there any way of just replacing the battery, or does the entire unit need to be replaced?

The info was stated in post #3 as well.

I asked the same question initially when I was having my issue and doing some research and apparently there is NHTSA/DOT regulations at work. They want the TPMS sensor housing to be a one piece design just so if there was a battery cover; the hardware, cover, or battery does not fall out/come off and be loose inside the tire and possibly causing a blow out leading to an accident.

Instead of buying a $5 watch battery, you will have to buy a $30-$40 sensor.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think they use a longer lasting lithium battery. I think it's worth it. Saved a couple tires when my wife got some flats. She's a nail magnet!

Reactions: Kyle

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
dmanns67 said:
The info was stated in post #3 as well.

I asked the same question initially when I was having my issue and doing some research and apparently there is NHTSA/DOT regulations at work. They want the TPMS sensor housing to be a one piece design just so if there was a battery cover; the hardware, cover, or battery does not fall out/come off and be loose inside the tire and possibly causing a blow out leading to an accident.

Instead of buying a $5 watch battery, you will have to buy a $30-$40 sensor.
Okay, sorry I didn't remember the post from six days previous verbatim. No need to get snippy.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
LilMule said:
Okay, sorry I didn't remember the post from six days previous verbatim. No need to get snippy.
:rotfl: who is snippy, don't "read angry". I was just directing you to the information that is already in your thread. You're welcome for the info [emoji106]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR