Proper adjustment of a receiver shank on my Yukon XL

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm new to towing larger trailers and want to make sure that I'm equipped correctly when I take delivery of a my new travel trailer. Found an ultra lite trailer that weighs in dry around 5500lbs, tongue weight is 640 . I've already purchased a Eaz-Lift weight distributing hitch kit that includes a hi-low shank, spring bars, and sway bar. (rated for 10,000 lbs GWR / 1,000 lbs-TW).

http://amzn.com/B005SB6S3Y

Before I venture out and pick up the unit, I'm looking for advice on how to properly set up the height on the hi-low shank. Is it best practice is align the top of the wd hitch ball to the top of the trailer's tongue coupler prior to setting the coupler on the ball? Should I then raise or lower the adjustable ball mount accordingly to make the trailer level to the ground?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I believe the rule of thumb is 17 inches to bottom of 2" opening. If your TT tongue sits level at 17" then that's a 2" drop, even with bottom of receiver hitch opening.

As far as loading, you need to check on level ground and the TT should be level when connected, or pretty close to level.

Watch a few videos or have a shop that installs hitches to help you with your WD hitch if you have never used one.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
You're actually going to want the "deck" of the ball mount to be about 1 1/2 - 2 inches above the trailer tongue at level height. Dry weight is a myth, as is the listed tongue weight. When loaded you'll be closer to 6500# (use the GVWR of the trailer) and figuring an average of 13% tongue weight, the tongue will be closer to 850# when the trailer is loaded to camp. That said the back of your Yukon will drop at least 2 inches when you drop the dead weight of the tongue on it.

Measure the height of the front fender at the center of the wheel before putting the trailer on. Drop the trailer on, but do not put the WD hitch on yet. Measure the front fender again. The WDH needs to be adjusted so that you bring the front end back down to stock height. This restores the steering control. You will still have some rear squat, that's normal. In other words don't kill yourself trying to bring the rear back up. My Sierra is about 1 1/2 inches lower hooked up than stock. Once this is done you may need to adjust the height of the ball again to level the trailer a bit. And remember, the trailer slight down in front is better than slightly up.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
Your RV dealer (it sounds like you're buying brand new) should be more than willing to take you through the setup process when you go pick it up

Johnnyringo

Sep 9, 2016
Detroit, MI
Having just gone thru this exercise, the best advice I got was to measure the trailer (frame to ground) in the front and rear. The front should be at least 1" lower than the rear. Mine was too high and the trailer wandered and the load on the rear trailer tires was way too much. Hope this helps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online