Procedure to check intake manifold torque?

ElAviator72

Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Anyone got one for those of us who don't own the repair manuals?

I'm thinking, in light of a few recent head replacements by users on this site (and speculation that it was due to loose inake manifold bolts!) that it might be worthwhile for the rest of us I-6 owners to check the torque on our intake manifolds.

Thanks!

mwking

Dec 7, 2011
I've been thinking the same thing. Even just the torque spec on the bolts would help. Definately could be one of those things that is worth checking out.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
ElAviator72 said:
Anyone got one for those of us who don't own the repair manuals?

I'm thinking, in light of a few recent head replacements by users on this site (and speculation that it was due to loose inake manifold bolts!) that it might be worthwhile for the rest of us I-6 owners to check the torque on our intake manifolds.

Thanks!

The manuals for our vehicles are available here...

http://gmtnation.com/f23/need-service-manuals-get-them-here-371/

And there have been some cases of loose intake bolts on the I6. Wouldn't be horrible to check them out...

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
I was just thinking this the other day and I checked the rear intake manifold bolts on my TB to make sure they were at least more than finger tight. It is hard to get a wrench/socket on them with the PCM/etc. in place.

This is what the service manual says about tightening:

Tighten the intake manifold bolts from the inside out to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

OctaneRider03

Jul 31, 2012
HEY! Absolutely FANTASTIC that you brought this up to the public eye! I honestly should have taken a minute to better present this issue but if you couldn't tell I was a bit preoccupied with ripping the cylinder head off at that time and was focused on a steady progression there! Many many apologies on my behalf for that guys! Don't hold it against me, haha!

Just like you, I haven't been able to find any other information regarding the correct torque specs with our intake manifold bolts. I used a 10mm to pull some of them loose, the others as you may already be aware of, my hand. :biggrin:

If you have to, go ahead and remove that PCM, remove the bracket that holds it and do what you need to do to gain better access there. Pick one of the bolts towards the rear, whichever comes to your mind first, and give it a pull. If you found yourself in our predicament, go ahead and take that 10mm and tighten down a least one good rotation past snugness just to be on the safe side. You should be good to go afterwards. I'm telling you this because this is what I'm doing while keeping a close eye on all of them.

Call the dealership and see if you can speak with someone from their parts or service department and see what they have to say if you want to go that route!

Good luck guys, if you have any further questions, feel free to drop by our thread over at i6 head removal/engine restoration! -Octane

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My Haynes also says 89 in-lb

mwking

Dec 7, 2011
Well I just checked the intake manfold bolts on the Trailblazer, except for the one at the very back and the one behind the alternator. I wouldn't really say they were loose, but they were definately a little less than snug. Maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 turn to feel the bolts were holding firmly. No room for the torque wrench. Worth the few minutes it takes to check just for peace of mind.

OctaneRider03

Jul 31, 2012
Good deal! You're one of the lucky ones then! Awesome to hear man!

ElAviator72

Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Guys,

I had the mechanic cleaning my throttle body, and I asked him to check the torque on the intake manifold while he was in there. He could turn all the bolts by hand except one!!! :eek:

I'm glad we caught it before burning up our cylinder head...:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online