problem with xuv tailgate

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
a cable is frayed and somehow twisted itself off the regulator motor. rather than replace the part, I figured i'd just retract the roof and keep it in truck mode. problem is, I can't retract the roof. it seems they are wired to work together. anyone know a hack to getting the roof open? would stopping the motor by hand work? (making the motor think the window is down to open the roof)
thanks for any suggestions.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
There should be a small switch in the bottom of your endgate, when the endgate window is in it's lowest position, it activates that switch, which allows the roof to be opened. Same concept as lowering your midgate. It won't flip down until the midgate glass is in it's lowest position first. In order to flip your end gate down, the window has to be all the way down IIRC, so shoving the glass down into the endgate should allow you to stay in 'truck mode' until you get around to replacing that window regulator. :twocents:

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
thanks, tried it but doesn't work.
motor just keeps spinning. I think the motor is usually force-stopped by the cable before the roof moves.
I'm hoping I can remove the motor and somehow stop it from spinning so the roof opens. has this been done?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
So is your endgate glass in the up, or down, position right now?

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
its down right now, but I can move it up or down by hand. looks like a cable frayed, kinked and popped the cap off of the spindle. no way to spool the cable into it. the motor works but is useless.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: And you're able to drop the endgate, or only swing it?

I helped my roommate replace the midgrate window regulator, that's where I got the glass position switch idea from, so it would make sense that GM reused the same logic in the endgate too. His was almost broken off it's mount, we had to reinforce it. I couldn't find an exploded diagram that would show if there should be one or not, but hopefully it's something as simple as that for you too.

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
neither. have to open the tailgate manually. its different from the midgate-that only took about 15 minutes to repair. if I was electronically inclined, maybe I could figure this out. frustrated doesn't come close to describing it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
04xuv said:
frustrated doesn't come close to describing it.
I think I have a good idea how you feel. My roommate has had an issue with his endgate as well, it only swings open, and won't drop. You hit the drop switch, and the swing latches release. Been that way for the better part of 4 years, and we haven't been able to figure out what exactly is causing it. Bad endgate module, loose connection, or something else. Dealer couldn't figure it out either. Very frustrating. And as many active members as we have in the area, no one else has an XUV to try swapping modules as a test.

chethro

Jun 15, 2013
The window must be down all the way to drop the tailgate. I would check the down limit and pressure switches. I actually hand to change my swing pressure switch to get my gate to drop last week.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online