problem with odometer

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
i noticed early last week that my odometer either won't display during my drive, or most often displays only after i've driven for a little while. all other guages are working correctly at the moment. any ideas? thanks.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
One of the contacts for the odometer display may have a broken solder joint on the cluster board, resulting in intermittent performance. :twocents:

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
forgot to mention that its display only; it's still tracking the mileage even if i can't see it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, the same thing happened with my stock cluster. OnStar monthly reports showed the mileage still being recorded, I just couldn't see it. But my transmission indicator was also out (constant, not intermittent) so I upgraded to a DIC cluster.

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Yeah, the same thing happened with my stock cluster. OnStar monthly reports showed the mileage still being recorded, I just couldn't see it. But my transmission indicator was also out (constant, not intermittent) so I upgraded to a DIC cluster.

don't think i can upgrade to a DIC cluster. if work's slow enough this week, maybe i'll pull the cluster and check the soldering as you suggested. hopefully its something simple. now is not the time of year to be putting all my money into the truck.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
04xuv said:
don't think i can upgrade to a DIC cluster. if work's slow enough this week, maybe i'll pull the cluster and check the soldering as you suggested. hopefully its something simple. now is not the time of year to be putting all my money into the truck.

:raspberry: Of course you CAN do the upgrade, now whether or not you want to actually do the swap, and can afford it, may be an issue. Hopefully you can find the issue quickly and it's an easy fix.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The odometer also uses a tiny high voltage power supply circuit on the PCB that has a higher failure mode than other circuits, just because it's high voltage and more stressed than the designers anticipated. Sometimes dust can build up and arc over and damage it, temporarily or permanently. I'd take it out and clean it first and see if the behavior changes. Send it to an Ebay repair outfit if you don't want to upgrade to the DIC.

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
well its been a couple of weeks and it seems as if the problem has gone away; for now, anyway. it happened for the next couple of days after the initial post, but i have yet to see it since then. hopefully it won't come back. thanks for the help guys.

04xuv

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
the problem came back, but i found an instant, temporary fix for when it does.
just gotta tap real hard on the plastic casing just below the gauges. just like the good ol' days.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online