Preparing for a long haul tow

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
I have a couple of specific questions on this topic. I have an 08 9-7x I6 with air springs and plan to tow a 3000 lb 98 ford ranger RWD, manual transmission 600 miles this spring. I have zero experience towing.

Question 1: I was thinking a tow dolly would work fine vs a car carrier. This saves a couple hundred bucks Any thoughts or preference on this? According to Ford owners manual I can do the dolly with front wheels up.

I do plan to install an aftermarket transmission cooler as recommended numerous times, and have been looking at a few links. It seems relatively straightforward and not too expensive. I noticed the PCM of NC offers one, but it's on the pricey side.

Question 2: Is there a consensus on preferred brand of aftermarket cooler on a budget?

I've been referencing this thread.

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/adding-a-tranny-cooler.14073/

This link is unfortunately missing.

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/confirming-some-towing-questions.12614/post-386964

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I fixed that 2nd link for you. :thumbsup:

This is the cooler I installed a couple years ago. It has a built in thermal bypass that doesn't open until the fluid is warm enough. Not a major concern down here in FL, but in the event I end up heading north in colder weather, it's nice to not have to think about it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XZXB1M/?tag=gmtnation-20

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Being its a ranger, you could flat tow it. I have this kit, and towed a Ford Ranger with no problems, as long as you mount it correctly..

Tow Bar Harbor Frieght

Doing it this way, you will save about 1000 lbs not having the tow dolly, or 2000 lbs with a drive on trailer. All are important things to consider. Being its a manual transmission, all you have to do is make sure its in neutral, and that the steering wheel is unlocked. Also disconnect the battery.

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
I fixed that 2nd link for you. :thumbsup:

This is the cooler I installed a couple years ago. It has a built in thermal bypass that doesn't open until the fluid is warm enough. Not a major concern down here in FL, but in the event I end up heading north in colder weather, it's nice to not have to think about it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XZXB1M/?tag=gmtnation-20

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you for this.

Being its a ranger, you could flat tow it. I have this kit, and towed a Ford Ranger with no problems, as long as you mount it correctly..

Tow Bar Harbor Frieght

Doing it this way, you will save about 1000 lbs not having the tow dolly, or 2000 lbs with a drive on trailer. All are important things to consider. Being its a manual transmission, all you have to do is make sure its in neutral, and that the steering wheel is unlocked. Also disconnect the battery.

Good thought! I'm wondering what I would need to do to the Ranger to make the attachment. Would I need to drill into the frame to attach the mounting brackets? I like the idea of the lower center of gravity on the return trip (and less weight).

Reactions: Blckshdw

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I pulled the front bumper off and attached it to the frame rails where the bumper had attached to. I towed it about 150 miles that way with no issues... Theres a tow bar mounting kit you can buy for the ranger as well, but if this is a once in a lifetime for the truck, it would be overkill.

Heres the other way to do it...

Outside Link

Just make sure you also connect a safety chain!

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
I pulled the front bumper off and attached it to the frame rails where the bumper had attached to. I towed it about 150 miles that way with no issues... Theres a tow bar mounting kit you can buy for the ranger as well, but if this is a once in a lifetime for the truck, it would be overkill.

Heres the other way to do it...

Outside Link

Just make sure you also connect a safety chain!

That's awesome. Now for the dumb question! I assume I would need to buy some kind of trailer lights to go on the Ranger?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Reactions: oldog

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yes, I used one of the bumper bolt holes, and drilled out the second bolt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online