premium not regular

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The salesman who sold me the SS put regular 87 octane in. Damn jack wagon. The truck was driving the shit. Shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. As soon as I got 1/2 thru the tank I put premium in and o' lordy. Drives smooth and like a bat outta hell. So long story short....yea the SS hates 87 oct. and loves premium. :2thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sales critters are often idiots, and the Owner's Manual is worth reading. Any questions? :biggrin:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
IIRC it even says recommend using premium on the gas door :rotfl: damn salesmen...

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Right?? What's the minimum octane u use. Have u used 89?? Just wondering

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Nope its not. Its worth the extra $5-$7 at fill up. I was just wonderin that's all.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
jrSS said:
Right?? What's the minimum octane u use. Have u used 89?? Just wondering
When you toped up the 1/2 full 87 tank with preminum, you probably had a tank of 89.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
That's what I was kinda thinkin myself...SO there is still more potential for running top notch. This was brought up on ssowners....but this place is more friendly :smile:

TXBlazer

Nov 21, 2011
Cypress, TEXAS USA
If you really want to go to the trouble of having your truck tuned to run on 87, then the Fuel table will have to be changed to 87, then you can safely use the lower octane fuel. I just upped the fuel I use in mine to the 91, but I also swapped the cam to the LS2 cam and had it all retuned.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
And yes there was a slight knock when 1st starting the engine using 87. Thanks for the reading roadie. :wink:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Lol. Well its a night n day difference when it comes to power. Just starting the SS in the morning puts a smile on my face. :smile:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
TXBlazer said:
If you really want to go to the trouble of having your truck tuned to run on 87, then the Fuel table will have to be changed to 87, then you can safely use the lower octane fuel. I just upped the fuel I use in mine to the 91, but I also swapped the cam to the LS2 cam and had it all retuned.

I'll keep it as is. Couple more bucks at fill up..I will deal with it.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i use straight 93 Jeff... when i first bought it, i was using 87.. but once i got tuned, its been 93 ever since, and with this new motor as well, without any mods on it..

:offtopic: youre right about some of those people on ssowners... thats the websites downfall IMO... but as you saw, i will just post threads about motor specific since things since its more likely to get helpful responses there.. but everything else, its all here... hell, i havent even been to a meet yet in the 5 years ive been apart of ssowners lol...

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yea seems to me most of em are conseeded(sp). Well whatever. I just get on to see the classifieds and some of the members rides. But yea I see what ya mean... this is my main home

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
jrSS said:
Yea seems to me most of em are conseeded(sp). Well whatever. I just get on to see the classifieds and some of the members rides. But yea I see what ya mean... this is my main home

I'll drink to that :Lager Louts:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I cannot wait to get more power loll

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Premium+Top Tier
Top Tier Gasoline

LS = Premium
Salesmen = Chev Volt Owner

The SS Power Is Great BUT I WANT MORE! lol to comment on your earlier post lol

ItsOnVoy