Preferred Transmission Fluid

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
On my short list is to drop the pan, replace the filter and the 5 (I believe) quarts there.

My question is: What's the transmission fluid of choice? I know Dexron IV is speced, but is there an aftermarket improvement?

Dec 4, 2011
I prefer anything synthetic with my personal favorite being Amsoil. By the way a complete change takes about 14 quarts, but you can mix synthetic with regular if you only decide to change the 5 in the pan.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Instrumental said:
On my short list is to drop the pan, replace the filter and the 5 (I believe) quarts there.

My question is: What's the transmission fluid of choice? I know Dexron IV is speced, but is there an aftermarket improvement?

That should be Dexron VI. :thumbsup:

barron03 said:
View attachment 5808
This is what I have been using for the past 100,000 plus miles.

Does that meet Dexron VI specs?
Tho OP has a 2007 and needs the Dexron VI or equivalent.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
MacMan said:

Even though it's synthetic, it only meets Dexron III specs. Dexron VI, no matter the brand, is synthetic and has better wear and durability properties than previous Dexron specs. GM has totally phased out all older Dexron and use VI exclusively no matter the year. And to use the Dexron VI name, it has to meet their specs. It's actually cheaper to buy Dex VI than the other synthetic oils on the market.

Don't bother with other synthetic or designer (Amsoil, Royal Purple) oils. Just go with Dex VI.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Mooseman said:
Even though it's synthetic, it only meets Dexron III specs. Dexron VI, no matter the brand, is synthetic and has better wear and durability properties than previous Dexron specs. GM has totally phased out all older Dexron and use VI exclusively no matter the year. And to use the Dexron VI name, it has to meet their specs. It's actually cheaper to buy Dex VI than the other synthetic oils on the market.

Don't bother with other synthetic or designer (Amsoil, Royal Purple) oils. Just go with Dex VI.

Why you say this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not sure which part of my post you're questioning :confused:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
[SAVEDGMAP][/SAVEDGMAP]
Mooseman said:
Not sure which part of my post you're questioning :confused:

About don't bother with Royal Purple etc....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They're overpriced for no added benefits, hence the name "designer". Just a lot of hype. It would like running premium gas in a vehicle that calls for just regular. The added benefits of synthetic are already in the Dex VI specs.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Mooseman said:
They're overpriced for no added benefits, hence the name "designer". Just a lot of hype. It would like running premium gas in a vehicle that calls for just regular. The added benefits of synthetic are already in the Dex VI specs.

Gotcha, Thanks!

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Plus, Royal Purple isn't Dex VI certified, it only goes to Dex IIIH,

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I did both my differentials yesterday, and while shopping for gear oil I looked at transmission oil. At the 3-4 places I went, they each had 1 name brand choice of Dex VI, I think Castrol or Valvoline. None of them carried the higher end Dex VI, and all of the higher end choices clearly say NOT compatible with Dex VI.

Looks like I won't have much choice!

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I've flushed out my tranny, dropped the pan and refilled with Royal Purple Max ATF and have been on it for 17,500 miles so far. No ill effects. That Allsion Transynd fluid exceeds expectations. It's more about the seals of the Allison trans from and to a certain manufactured date.

One of the engineers of Allsion retired and is on the Diesel Place forum. He talks the specifics of it and answers questions like the ones we have. Former Allison Fluids Engineer (Here to Help) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums that is the link to the Q&A about tranny fluid and stuff.

He gets into how companies get the seal of DEX approval and why they won't do it.

Regardless, I will be using Amsoil when I hit the 50,000 mile mark on my tranny fluid. (I drive a ridiculous amount including delivering pizzas).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very interesting the read over there. Learned that DexVI is not a true synthetic but more like a semi-synth. Got to about page 12. I'll try and read through it although it mostly pertains to Allison trannys. Did say that DexVI is a very good fluid (but not in Allisons). As for DexIII, since GM is no longer controlling its licensing, it's the wild west with that. Anybody can cook oil in their basement and call it DexIII.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Mooseman said:
Very interesting the read over there. Learned that DexVI is not a true synthetic but more like a semi-synth.....
The very first line of the Mobil link stated very clearly " .....synthetic blend automatic transmission fluid..... "

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
since i am getting the new motor put in my SS, i had the dealership do a pan drop, install a new pan, gasket, and filter, and then just fill...

what i used, im sure youre not gonna believe, but i went to walmart.. its called super tech Dexron VI for $4 a quart :rotfl: thats a deal in my book, and its GM certified, states it right on the front of the bottle.. the dealerr even told me to get it since it would be cheaper on me...

Walmart.com: Super Tech DEXRON VI Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 qt: Automotive

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
since i am getting the new motor put in my SS, i had the dealership do a pan drop, install a new pan, gasket, and filter, and then just fill...

what i used, im sure youre not gonna believe, but i went to walmart.. its called super tech Dexron VI for $4 a quart :rotfl: thats a deal in my book, and its GM certified, states it right on the front of the bottle.. the dealerr even told me to get it since it would be cheaper on me...

Walmart.com: Super Tech DEXRON VI Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 qt: Automotive

I believe it. I use supertech synth oil and trans fluid too. Has been working good for me.

Joshtradamus

Apr 22, 2012
CaptainXL said:
I believe it. I use supertech synth oil and trans fluid too. Has been working good for me.

Their DEX VI is one thing... it HAS to meet GM spec... their oil on the other hand.. it's garbage, but to each his own.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
xj2202009 said:
I will use the trans oil but for engine oil, I rather use cooking oil then supertech.

Go ahead and use cooking oil. I'm saving a lot of hard earned cash using Supertech and G oil. I've been there and done that. Mobile 1 is just way too expensive. It doesn't even compete.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I use mobil 1 synthetic as my engine oil. But will be using supertech's dexron vi tanny fluid.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There was a report on the OS, that Walmart Supertech is made by Mobil.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Mobile 1 as my oil as well throughout the life of my truck... and the Super Tech tranny fluid on my flush...

rywegh

Jul 4, 2012
I have used the Walmart supertech oil the past two oil changes. I have not noticed any issues with it. Will definitely try the walmart version of the tranny fluid next

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Go ahead and use cooking oil. I'm saving a lot of hard earned cash using Supertech and G oil. I've been there and done that. Mobile 1 is just way too expensive. It doesn't even compete.

I sincerely apologize to CaptainXL if my sarcasm have offended you. I have used supertech in the past in at least three cars and every time I had to add at least a quart and half in between changes. To isolate it was not the car I changed to castor and did not have to add any oil in between changes. Pretty much this was the same result for all three cars. I did about three changes with supertech and oil was short, I switched to castol for next three changes no shortages. I just wished it worked for me as well as it have worked for you.

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Another vote for SuperTech Dexron VI. Did my whole trans flush with it for a little over $60. Definite improvement in shifting over stock 2005 Dexron III.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher