Predictable outcome....

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
This is what happens when an average driver pilots an SUV with over 700 HP....

• Sad
Reactions: Beacon

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Good thing the guy in the pickup truck he hit walked away. Pays to drive a big truck some days.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
This is what happens when an average driver pilots an SUV with over 700 HP....

I'd say 'below average', given the description of the crash (he crossed the centerline of a curve and hit an F250 more or less in the front corner... compared to the Jeep, it was barely damaged)

From the article:
After the impact, the Jeep collided a ditch, went airborne, struck a tree then spun back into the roadway. Speed appeared to be a contributing factor.

You think? :duh:

I wonder if the writer was trying for humour, with that last sentence.
Here's a couple of photos of the Jeep, where 'speed appeared to be a contributing factor'... I can imagine how fast the Jeep was going, to suffer this kind of damage.

1582330965896.png

1582331093410.png

Hoping all who were injured recover 100%. No idea what condition they're in.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Any members from N.C. that would know what that license plate is on the back ? Looks like some kind of Official tag.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I had originally guessed that it was a 'Sheriff's Association' (similar to FOP) plate, but edited it from my earlier post (tryna keep things tite, yo) :laugh:

Looking for it online, that's exactly what it is - a 'supporter' plate.

1582336451626.png

I'll guess the owner is similar to (some) people up here - they buy the FOP plates / stickers thinking that they won't get pulled over (or if they do, that they'll escape a ticket).

Of course, if they *really* supported their police organizations, they wouldn't drive like this guy did (unless they had a badge and a light bar / siren, themselves.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You actually don't have to be going that fast to get that much damage out of it. A lot of those bends are in spots where it's supposed to give. That being said, to do it everywhere, you had to be moving at a decent clip. Without seeing the distance from all the impacts I would have to guess something like... 120 or so. Seems about right for the weight and what was described happend. A lighter car would have had to have been moving faster. And as far as it hitting a truck. It's a sheet metal suv vs a steal frame. I'll take the frame every time.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Oh, yeah... unibody & lighter weight is the reason for that carnage, to be sure.
120mph, eh? Prolly about right. I didn't guess a speed, just that it was too fast for the driver to handle. Guessing he / she was young, too.

I once dented / smashed every panel on a Dodge (except the roof) - but everyone in the car walked away without injury, and the car was still drivable. Not something I'm proud of, but I think I was 17, too (this was before states started doing 'graduated licenses', etc.)

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Not saying that it's the case here but, sometimes the Jaws of Life tool makes it look worse than it may have been.
Thanks for the info on the tag...hmm, Sheriff supporter...

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
I'd say 'below average', given the description of the crash (he crossed the centerline of a curve and hit an F250 more or less in the front corner... compared to the Jeep, it was barely damaged)

Nah, pretty common around here, most drivers cross into the other lane in curves so they don't have to slow down to a proper speed for the corner and hell some of them do that shit at speeds where they could easily stay in their own lane, super common on the backroads in the mountains, typically only the main highways where drivers don't do that.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I've been known to practice apexing / racing lines, myself; I used to drive road courses. Had fun on many an exit ramp, etc. I also used to ride motorcycles. But generally, I'll do that on roads that I'm familiar with, and not at a speed I can't recover from.

I don't know what degree the curve was that this guy was rounding, if it was a blind curve, etc. But he was obviously driving past his / the car's limits.

Sorry if I sound like a safety nazi, but this crash shouldn't have happened. Perhaps it's the word 'airborne' that triggered me, here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online