Power Window problems

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Glad to be with the crew again. To be honest when I first started getting the PM's to relocate I thought it was some type of scam, but one of the PM's I got was a name I recongnized... Either way thanks for putting this together guys!

Here is whats going on. The two front windows don't go down with the auto down switch. If I press it once for them to go down like they should they only go down 1/4" and a time. This is the same for both sides even if I do them one at a time. Also I noticed that they are SUPER slow to go up and down...even to the point that they stop even with me holding the button down for them to go up. Once in a while they will work like they should with the auto, but few and far between. The back windows work great and go up and down quickly. It almost seems like the fronts motors are too weak to work correctly. Is anyone aware of a problem/solution to this problem? Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sounds a lot like the old "high friction in the regulator" problem. Purely mechanical. Ebay has replacements.

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Can always count on the roadie! Thanks

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
hey buddy.. i see you got my email... welcome aboard :tiphat:... and already, its paying off for you :raspberry:

but yes, i agree with roadie.. time to start looking on ebay...

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Yup I just replaced both rear regulators last month. I could point you to a guy on ebay that sells them for a good price. Just let me know.:thumbsup:

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Thx. Except my PMs look like scams? :confused:

Not intended to be. I didn't receive mine from you roadie. One of the members that 1st sent it to me had a low post count and was just asking for my email??? I know now it was harmless, but at first look....

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
Maybe this will help:

Install/Replace Broken Power Regulator
[video=youtube;47tAE7mCx1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47tAE7mCx1g[/video]

Russ

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
Replaced my drivers door regulator (same problem as ChriSS K) still same problem. Goes down great, coming up it stops 1/4 way up and stops. Switch? If so, why only coming up?

Thanks

Russ

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Russ said:
Replaced my drivers door regulator (same problem as ChriSS K) still same problem. Goes down great, coming up it stops 1/4 way up and stops. Switch? If so, why only coming up?

Thanks

Russ

That's strange! Was the replacement used or new? Try bringing up the window with the door panel off. Will give you a better insight on what's going on.

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
fadyasha said:
That's strange! Was the replacement used or new? Try bringing up the window with the door panel off. Will give you a better insight on what's going on.

Checked the window operation with the door panel off and everything looks ok. Nothing seems to be binding. The regulator was new. So, now I know the old one was good also.

How would I go about checking the switch? If it is the switch, can I buy just the single switch or will I have to buy the whole thing for $200.00? :eek:

Thanks

Russ

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Russ said:
Checked the window operation with the door panel off and everything looks ok. Nothing seems to be binding. The regulator was new. So, now I know the old one was good also.

How would I go about checking the switch? If it is the switch, can I buy just the single switch or will I have to buy the whole thing for $200.00? :eek:

Thanks

Russ

by you saying everything "looks" ok..did you test the window as well... im sure what fadyasha was trying to get at was maybe the door panal is whats keeping the window from coming up.. does the window work regularly with the door panel off.. or does it do the same thing?

and you can get a switch off of ebay for usually $100 or lower... check out seller 1933trader.. his store specializes in tb's/voy's

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
Boricua SS said:
by you saying everything "looks" ok..did you test the window as well... im sure what fadyasha was trying to get at was maybe the door panal is whats keeping the window from coming up.. does the window work regularly with the door panel off.. or does it do the same thing?

and you can get a switch off of ebay for usually $100 or lower... check out seller 1933trader.. his store specializes in tb's/voy's

Yes, I did test the window with the panel off. Again, it only went up a few inches and stopped. I then had to push up on the window manually while holding the button.

I'll check out 1933trader.

The only thing I haven't done is switch the drivers side with the passengers side.

Thanks

Russ

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Russ said:
Yes, I did test the window with the panel off. Again, it only went up a few inches and stopped. I then had to push up on the window manually while holding the button.

I'll check out 1933trader.

The only thing I haven't done is switch the drivers side with the passengers side.

Thanks

Russ

ah ok.. makes more sense now... i would definetly try switching modules before you commit to purchasing a new switch... im subscribed to this thread to see the outcome as a friend of mine is experriencing this same problem

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
Ok....

I just went out and switched the modules. No change!!!!!!!!

I did start the car and it seemed to have made a difference with it running. Not as good as before the change but better.

Maybe it's time for the Big 3?

Waiting to see if it gets better with use......

Russ

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
On the way to work this morning, stopped for coffe, put the window down and very very very slow coming up.

What now? Anyone????

Thanks

Russ

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you try rolling the window up at night (when your modules are lit up) do the interior lights dim at all, like they do when the window is all the way up/down and you hold the button down? If that was the case, I might try checking the window channel and seeing if anything is obstructing the window from going up on it's own without you having to push it. :twocents:

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
This morning, warmer than the last few days and no problem with the window.

Noticed that the original regulator started acting up once the weather got cold.

So, it seems as if the colder it gets, the worse it is.

Still electrical?

I am stumped!

Russ

Blckshdw said:
If you try rolling the window up at night (when your modules are lit up) do the interior lights dim at all, like they do when the window is all the way up/down and you hold the button down? If that was the case, I might try checking the window channel and seeing if anything is obstructing the window from going up on it's own without you having to push it. :twocents:

I'll check it this weekend when I can get it in the garage.

Russ

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Russ said:
This morning, warmer than the last few days and no problem with the window.

Noticed that the original regulator started acting up once the weather got cold.

So, it seems as if the colder it gets, the worse it is.

Still electrical?

I am stumped!

Russ

Yeah, still electrical. Sounds like a grounding (or contact) issue. When the weather is colder, the metal contracts, and wherever this contact spot is, is losing some of it's connection. When it warms up, the metal expands and makes a good enough connection to roll the window all the way up.

You could have a damaged wire somewhere (likely in the rubber boot passing between the door and cabin) or possibly the harness that plugs into the regulator. I would start from inside the door and work inwards. :twocents:

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Yeah, still electrical. Sounds like a grounding (or contact) issue. When the weather is colder, the metal contracts, and wherever this contact spot is, is losing some of it's connection. When it warms up, the metal expands and makes a good enough connection to roll the window all the way up.

You could have a damaged wire somewhere (likely in the rubber boot passing between the door and cabin) or possibly the harness that plugs into the regulator. I would start from inside the door and work inwards. :twocents:

Thanks, at least now I have a starting point.

Appreciate all the help! :biggrin:

Russ

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
When it's acting up, can you put your hand on the glass and help it up while pressing the switch? The window weatherstrip could have some funny wear the glass is getting caught on and the motor doesn't have another power to move past it. I've seen this before on a Venture van.

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
91RS said:
When it's acting up, can you put your hand on the glass and help it up while pressing the switch? The window weatherstrip could have some funny wear the glass is getting caught on and the motor doesn't have another power to move past it. I've seen this before on a Venture van.

When it's cold, that's almost what I have to do. After I changed the regulator, I actually had to reach in the door (had the door panel off)and push up the window.

I'll start with the grounds and wiring and look at anything that might hinder the operation.

With help from everyone on here, we'll figure it out!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Russ

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Russ said:
On the way to work this morning, stopped for coffe, put the window down and very very very slow coming up.

What now? Anyone????

Thanks

Russ

Update...

What your seeing is exactly what mine was doing. I took it to the dealer and they replaced both regulators and the auto switch panel on the drivers side all under my extended warranty!!!

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
ChriSS K said:
Update...

What your seeing is exactly what mine was doing. I took it to the dealer and they replaced both regulators and the auto switch panel on the drivers side all under my extended warranty!!!

Great for you Chris! Glad it all worked out for you! Russ your next :tongue:

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
fadyasha said:
Great for you Chris! Glad it all worked out for you! Russ your next :tongue:

Thanks. I'm saying I would recheck those regulators because it sounds like what I had...

Russ

Jan 4, 2012
ChriSS K said:
Thanks. I'm saying I would recheck those regulators because it sounds like what I had...

Chris,

Glad you have your problem taken care of. :thumbsup:

Gonna check everything this weekend. I can put it in the garage and take my time.

Thanks, we'll get this!!!!! :crazy:

Russ

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
ChriSS K said:

I hear you. I suggested the same earlier, and yes I was facing the same both my rear doors. One day they just went down and never went up. It happened within 3 days of each other. :hissyfit:

snowbear

Dec 5, 2011
We've noticed our '08 has been doing this recently. As usual, the folks here are quick to come up with some solutions.

Thanks, all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online