Power steering

Brandon Grant

Original poster
Mar 8, 2020
Cushing, Ok
I have had a leak in my power steering for some time. It started out slow but seamed to worsen over night. I found its at the high pressure line going into the rack. I searched to find a seal for it and nobody could find one, so I got a bunch of o rings and was going to try it. Then I had to replace the pump about 2 or 3 months ago. I am having a problem getting the lines off due to a bolt the has a rounded head. I am going to have to replace the pump again soon, but I still need to replace the seal. Any ideas? Please help?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I don't understand. If its leaking at the rack why are taking it off at the pump?
Anyway all you need to do is remove the bolt holding them to the rack and back them out and inspect them. Clean everything and ck the lines for cracks and damage. Then replace the seals. these are the seals.... Think their called button seals
ACDelco 24221233

And here is a lil about them...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon Grant

Original poster
Mar 8, 2020
Cushing, Ok
Well, the pump blew up on me so I had to replace it, now the new pump is starting to go because of the leak. The real problem is, the bolt holding the lines in the rack is rounded off. I just can't get the bolt out.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Theres hundreds im guessing of videos on how to remove rounded bolts. None of them under "fun" Im sure. Still Id ck the other end 1st cus if the line set is damaged on that end you may want to just go ahead and replace pump and lines. Around here Id go to the junkyard, find an envoy with the motor out and have the line set off in a few minutes. But not everybodys lucky enough to have a junkyard with 10 envoys in it 10 mins away!

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
1 way is to weld a nut to the top of the rounded nut and then back it out. Youll need actual elec welder . JB Weld wont cut it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: BrianF

Brandon Grant

Original poster
Mar 8, 2020
Cushing, Ok
The only thing i can find like that is a 6ml socket, it's got to rounded to at least a 5 1/2. Now I'm wondering if i can get out the lines, out put to the input till i can get the bolt out. I had to go ahead and replace the pump tonight, the pully and shaft fell out!

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Shouldnt be any problem to remove entire line set. No junkyard nearby to get 1 from? Just looked at a new set, i think they are available from GM but they not cheap. Ill try to go by the junkyard here tomorrow and see what they got handy. Cant imagine they'd charge me more than a few bucks for it. You do have a short wheelbase 6 cyl right? I got a parts truck here at the house but i think it would be easier to get them out of 1 thats had the motor pulled already..

Brandon Grant

Original poster
Mar 8, 2020
Cushing, Ok
It was from driving it and the pump going dry from the leak. Had to put 3 full bottles in in less than 2 days. But now I finished it up, had to rout the lines from out flow to inflow. Worked great for now. I used parts f the lines though. Going to just replace both lines anyway.
Thanks to all supporters!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online