NEED HELP Power Steering Various Problems and Questions

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
'03 TB LTZ
318xxx km

Heyo, more fantastical power steering issues. Hadn't done much to address the leak I referenced in this thread:

TL : DR, replaced all my PS lines in spring 2020, but screwed up one of the connections at the rack trying to get the cup seal out (protip, it was already out and I'm an idiot.) Used Edelmann lines. Now to my current issue.

Just been topping up the PS fluid when it goes low, and getting around that way since my screwup. Well, earlier this month it was cold one morning, we made a trip to the other end of the city, went in a store, and when I came out and started it back up, a connection on the rack to cooler return line came apart. Limped it home (yeah, probably not a great idea), parked it. It had come apart at a connection, shitty clamp. Replaced that spot with a gear clamp and I was up and running again. Fast forward to Christmas Eve, had since been driving it fine, even up to the city the night before when it was -30, no issues. Did some running around before planning to head out to my family's. Stopped and got gas, started it up, there goes another connection. Limped it home again, this time it was the next connector on the same line. Replaced with another gear clamp. Drove fine on Christmas night. Fast forward to Boxing Day (our Christmas supper was delayed due to weather), drove it around the block to make sure it was good. It was fine. Shut it off. Packed up. Started it up again, no power steering AGAIN. Have had it parked since, haven't checked. Not sure if I wasn't able to tighten that second clamp enough or if it's another connection down the line. The clamps on those Edelmann return lines are pure garbage.

So, at this point, I'm just wondering what I should do. As to my previous issue, I probably need to replace the rack anyways. To the current issue, I wouldn't be surprised if I've contaminated the system at some point causing a blockage and pressure buildup somewhere. I suppose I could also have a failed cooler (I see I could test that by bypassing which I might try). Or else I could have a failed pump. I've run it low several times over the last year and a half, so that's a real possibility. Part of me is really considering just doing an entire power steering replacement, the rack, the pump, the cooler, and at least the one return line, if not all. I think the Edelmann pressure line is good, but those clamps on the return lines are just trash.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed? Should I try to isolate and replace one thing at a time? I just figure if I put new everything in, I know the system won't get messed up by something else that's not been replaced, if you know what I mean. It's not a small bill, but we're also looking at a newer (to us) vehicle and the market is BRUTAL right now, so extending the TB's life would quite likely save us quite a bit down the line with the hope that the used market gets better.

*Edit, also saw the idea of using ATF instead of PS fluid for lower viscosity. Won't help my leak problem but might help my pressure problem? Is this something I should try also for the short term?

As usual, any advice is much appreciated!

Reactions: paul2005tb

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Return lines typically don't have a lot of pressure in them unless there is some sort of restriction or, if it's brutally cold (like >-20c), it could be a bit higher than normal. I once had a tranny return line blow off when it was -30c but it was an aux cooler rubber line that was slipped on a cut off hard return line and the worm clamp wasn't tight enough. Maybe that's all you needed was better clamps. You could also double clamp to be sure.

I use Dex VI ATF in my PS with no issues. It's probably the same thing. Seems less stiff in the morning. I know that ACDelco sells a lower viscosity power steering fluid in Canada, maybe the US too, for cold climates.

To get rid of the leak at the rack, you're likely gonna have to replace it as you probably damaged the port. If you get a rebuilt, don't get a Cardone. I've had better luck with a used rack than Cardone.

Unless your cooler is rusted out or leaking, I wouldn't bother replacing it. Maybe just put some brake cleaner in it and blow it out with compressed air to be sure it's not clogged for some reason. If it is rusty and you think it may fail, Dorman does have a replacement made of aluminum. I was able to find one of those at the u-pick yard for cheap. That's also where I got the rack from. Just check that there are no leaks inside the boots. I did have to replace the inner tie rods.

For the pump, unless it's being noisy or having pressure issues, it might be fine. Again, Cardone is junk. I've had good luck with ACDelco rebuilts.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Alright, thanks for the response. With this Sask winter we're having, i ain't headed to a wrecker any time soon. Maybe there was a time, but I can't be bothered. The pump is only making noise when I know the system is low, but like I said I have ran it low a couple times, not to mention twice running it with the hose blown off to limp it home, so I could definitely see it being failed. I assume it's the original pump, though I don't know that for sure. Perhaps I could bypass the cooler and/or try to test it with air, and then rule it in or out as a culprit. Might replace the pump anyways, probably should do the rack too. Had thought to try some high temp gasket maker where that cup seal goes in to fix up my scratches as a stop-gap, 'cause I know that rack is a beast.

Either way, I'll be sure to avoid the cardone, and perhaps the first thing i'll do is just tighten up my lines and see if I can find a LV PS or ATF to put in the system as well, maybe do a flush while i'm at it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could certainly bypass the cooler if needed. Especially in winter, it won't get hot. In fact, a lot of people just bypass it permanently as there is the thought that in years gone by, there were no steering coolers. You could then replace it in more clement temps.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Aye, thinking i'll probably do that and get a lower viscosity fluid in there, replace any shitty clamps i can find and then see what happens. Thanks for the feedback, I will keep this thread updated.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Unless your cooler is rusted out or leaking, I wouldn't bother replacing it

That was my guess. I believe his cooler is rusted. If original you can likely bet it's close to having issues.

Not a hard swap, but take a flashlight and look in the lower portion of the front bumper cover.

Also, did you replace the two O-rings in the rack where the 2 lines enter?

Be careful, that bolt doesn't take much torque.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
That was my guess. I believe his cooler is rusted. If original you can likely bet it's close to having issues.

Not a hard swap, but take a flashlight and look in the lower portion of the front bumper cover.

Also, did you replace the two O-rings in the rack where the 2 lines enter?

Be careful, that bolt doesn't take much torque.
On the '03 where the lines go in we have those stupid cup seals, which is what I detailed in my other thread. As for rust, entirely possible but I don't live in a rust belt, we don't use salt to nearly the same degree in Sask as in other provinces, and most of my driving is done on the backroads that don't get any at all. Not saying rust isn't possible, it IS a 20 year old ride, just saying it's not as likely as it would be in other places. I will check it anyways though. Regardless of the cause, if the cooler is the problem, bypassing it should improve my situation and stop my blow-aparts. I have it parked in my garage while I'm at the in-laws', so when I get back to it I'll try the outlined plan (bypass cooler, better clamps, maybe a small amount of high temp gasket maker where those cup seals go in where I scratched the heck out of the rack.) Got a call in to my car guy too, we haven't been able to connect yet though. I always value the advice from GMT though just because of the specialized knowledge everyone here has on this platform.

I will keep you all posted, cheers!

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
About 5years ago I had a PS cooler leak, Im convinced that its low OEM placement below the front bumper and the salting of the New England roads led to its short lifespan. I cut it out and kept the existing aluminum lines that were mounted below the radiator frame and circle in front of the radiator. I bought a small transmission cooler (which was actually bigger than the OEM PS cooler) and hosed it up. All was well, or so I thought.

Now the fun part, I developed a PS leak, ( suspect that when the original cooler failed I must have slightly damaged the pump or overheated something). In the process of scoping out the solution and trying to find out where the leak is would add PS fluid). To slow down the leak I added some 90weight gear oil to dramatically slow the leak until I can find where the leak is coming from. So far performance has been unchanged. Im not advising to do this but if you are in a real pinch with a PS leak then putting heavyweight gear oil in there can at least get you home or buy you a few weeks to find the problem. I only have 160k miles on this vehicle and I do have other vehicles I can drive but for me the diagnostics takes time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I have now made the conclusive determination that my leak is coming from the power steering rack. I will replace it but as I look at the condition of the lines and the relatively low cost to replace them I am now inclined to replace the lines as well. Should I replace the pump while Im at it... to be determined and to be continued !

This is the most enjoyable vehicle I get to drive. It is just that the trailblazer is not an easy vehicle to work on. It would cost more than Im willing for a mechanics time. Its not a great DIY vehicle for an intermediate skill level to take on the PS rack replacement. But the difference between 400$ in parts and a 1200$ garage mechanic bill tells me all I need to know.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You are NOT Kidding... Trying to R&R the Trailblazer and Envoy Rack & Pinion Steering AND Hoses and Cup Seals is something to be compared with:

"Trying to Take Your Pants OFF... Over Your HEAD..."

Start the Viewing of this Repair Debacle with a One Hour Instructional ...Just to Whet your Appetite for the coming Mechanical Miseries. Take Note of the fact that the VOP (Video Original Poster) ... Let's call him "Home Slice" is Smoking a Cigar that has soaked up all that Black Oil Mung from his Filthy Fingers... MAN! WTF is WRONG with THIS Dude?:

CAUTION: Don't Forget to Tie Down or FIX Your Steering Wheel in a Straight, Neutral, Unmovable Position so that it will NOT be able to move and Destroy the Air Bag Clock Spring!

Then Observe THIS Dude employing his *Trick* to Loosen R&R the Big Bolts holding the Rack & Pinion Gear in Place:

And to give you an idea of what this additional Agony looks like "Up Close and Personal"...Observe this Dude struggling with trying to get the Power Steering High Pressure Line Hose Cup Seals R&Rd. THIS is One Outrageously Greasy, Disgusting, Uncomfortable, PITA Job:

If you decide to Buy ALL of what is needed and deliver the Parts and Seals and Hoses and PS Fluid to your Mechanic... Check out EVERYTHING that RockAuto has listed for sale HERE:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the rack itself is leaking, try BlueDevil stop leak. It worked for me. Won't help for leaking lines though.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Finally got free this week to pull the PS lines to the rack and I now see that the lines were leaking at the dreaded strut mount location... The leak was so severe that it was dripping down like a water fall onto the PS rack boot.. pictures to follow.

One side note, the value of my 3in body lift can NOT be overstated!!!.. removing the PS lines at the rack was trivial because of the body lift. The body lift is a great addition to the TB but it has countless other benefits during repairs.

Last edited:

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
IMG_20230816_200754089.jpgIMG_20230816_200925173.jpg

Reactions: azswiss

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I purchased new lines and a new rack. There is no doubt that the lines were rusted out and leaking. Im going to only replace the lines, I'll keep the new rack in the box in the storage shed.

Based on various youtube videos of the PS line replacement I was really dreading this repair. But because years ago I installed the 3in body lift it was so much easier than expected.

I'd really like to repair the existing lines. I'm guessing this would entail cutting out the rusted section and flaring the ends . There has to be a right way to repair it. My goal would be to have the repaired lines in the storage shed.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
I patched my rusted lines so I could keep driving until parts arrived. Cut out the rusted sections (with a small pipe cutter with a steel cutting wheel) and used high pressure compression fittings to connect the patch to the original pipes so I didn't have to flare the old pipes. The patch consisted of pipe sections that acted as nipples from the high compression fittings, and high pressure rubber lines rated for power steering use slip fit on to the nipples about 2", with multiple clamps on each end. Hope that makes some degree of sense. I have not had enough caffeine yet.

I tried to clean as much rust off the old lines as possible before cutting, just to minimize putting more rust in to the system than had already been introduced by the original pipe failure, wiped everything down and checked for burrs before putting the compression fittings on.

Ultimately I replaced the rack and pump because the leak had not only run the system down but had also allowed contaminants in, but I was at least able to get around in the mean time with the patched lines.

Good Luck!

Chris

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I wonder why these lines were not made of aluminum. Also, when I install the new lines, Im going toss away that steel hold down bracket at the suspension tower and Im going to fashion a more judicious shock mount from the existing rubber shock material. My own forensic analysis tells me that it was the manner in which those lines were pinned down to the frame that allowed moisture to sit there.

Ill post pictures once my installation is complete. I think my new lines are arriving tomorrow.

Im not going to toss out the old lines, I am going to learn how to make a high pressure fitting with ferrules and repair with a high pressure hose.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Well I bought my lines from RockAuto.. and I bought the least expensive brand. I noticed that the line ends (that fit into the PS rack) were not well rounded beveled like the OEM lines. I had a hard time pressing them in. I had to get an M6-1 bolt that was threaded at the end in order to squeeze the mounting bracket holding the lines into place. I sure hope those orings didnt get mangled when I did that.

I sure wish that the auto manufacturers used simple classic line connections that are used in hydraulics. Everything seems to be underbuilt today.

• Wow

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it's the same as mine (FVP), the line may have cut the flap off the cup seal and destroyed my rack. As a preventive, I cut those flaps off when I put in the replacement rack. It may have been those lines that did it and I also found them hard to insert into the rack.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I did not install any of those flap fittings that came with the FVP package. If there were existing ones in the PS rack female side I did not even attempt to take them out. I matched the OEM line set up as best I could...

I made a few mods to the brackets , I figured the OEM design of securing the lines over the tower has certainly been proven to be flawed. So this is part of my strategy:IMG_20230821_072823893.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I did something similar, just zip tying them. Mine had already started rusting before I removed that rubber insulator when I bought the truck, which traps water and dirt. Not their smartest design for sure.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Well if Im following Mooseman I must be heading in the right direction.. Now for the two lower forward brackets my plan is to put a few steel washers at the bolts so that the lines are lifted above that body panel. Ill send pictures once I have it in place, hopefully tonight.

When you really love a platform, this is what you do to keep her on the road.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Looks Like some Brand New UCAs should go on the "Santa's Trailblazer Repair Parts List" , too...

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Speaking of the suspension , when I update my front struts Im going to turn my 3in suspension lift on the lathe into a 2in suspension lift. 5in of total lift is more than enough.

Last edited:

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
IMG_20230828_082950864.jpgIMG_20230828_082920720.jpg

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
The key to me was to get the lines 1) unmounted from the body, there really is no need to have them hard mounted as they were OEM. 2) they are now slightly more inboard, away from that wheel well. 3) I used the existing OEM rubber and tie wraps to make sure the lines can never touch each other and are protected from any shocks and vibrations.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I didn't even use the rubber isolator because that's how water and dirt got trapped and rusted the lines. I just zip tied them together.

John04TB

Sep 2, 2023
Rather than starting a new post, this looks like a good place for my question. Just how do you snake the pressure line over the strut tower? I was able to remove the old one surprisingly relatively easily, compared to everything I saw on Youtube. Didn't remove anything, didn't even open the wire harnesses. But I can't seem to reverse the process and get the line over the tower. And not a single video recorded the actual installation. (Don't even ask me how I got the return line in - upside down - and somehow rotated it into the correct position!) Thanks.

Attachments

• 20231010_180041.jpg
    20231010_180041.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 2

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Thread has some additional, interesting input on doing this difficult job:

John04TB

Sep 2, 2023
This Thread has some additional, interesting input on doing this difficult job:

Thank you @mrrsm. Yes, I'm the last few posts on there with your very helpful replies. I even got the snapped bolt extracted. But since I ended up breaking the bent plate that holds the lines to the rack, I needed to replace the pressure line, which, as I said, I removed "relatively" easily over the tower. I replaced the rusted return line also which I did get in through the wheel well... but upside down! I finally got it twisted 180 degrees to sit correctly. But I can't get the pressure line in over the strut tower. I thought I could after removing it so readily.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
A lot of the necessary "Paper-Folding Origami" -like actions can be got around by trying to Flex the Power Steering Hose and Piping *SLIGHTLY* ...so as not to induce any permanent Kink Bends and coax a difficult section right into place. Sometimes... there are adjacent things attached and bolted nearby that can be loosened or moved just enough to get the piping routes to literally... fall right into place. Check out THIS Dude's suggestions at around 16 Minutes into his Video below:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I also found this video which might be of some help:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I did it recently, I removed the fan and shroud and I just snaked it in from back to front. Didn't use the wheel well at all.

John04TB

Sep 2, 2023
When I did it recently, I removed the fan and shroud and I just snaked it in from back to front. Didn't use the wheel well at all.
THANK YOU @Mooseman! I can't believe how easy it was doing it that way! And I didn't remove the fan and shroud. I couldn't remove the battery tray because I must have dislodged the fixed nuts on the front two bolts (I thought I snapped them but they wouldn't pull out), So I used a Dremel to cut away the end "rib" of the tray because that's the one spot where the line got bound up. It went the rest of the way easily after that. Such a relief!

Attachments

• 20231012_183051.jpg
    20231012_183051.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231012_182618.jpg
    20231012_182618.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

John04TB

Sep 2, 2023
Hello again. I've done all the PS lines and rack work with the car on ramps. Everything is quite accessible from underneath, and from the driver's wheel well even with the tire on, when necessary.

I haven't yet reconnected the tie rod ball joints to the knuckles. I've seen that to bleed the lines you need to turn the steering wheel end to end many times. Can I safely do that without connecting the tie rod ends (and thus keep the wheels on the ramps)? It seems like I should be able to. Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online