Power steering pump leak

fj4072

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Hello, have read through tons of posts here, can't find anything similar. 1st off, I don't live in a rust belt, so no rust here, driver side is dry and rack is dry. I've traced my leak to the bottom of the power steering pump. Return is dry, high pressure is wet but doesn't appear to be the origin, hard to tell. It does drip down the entire length of the high pressure line, AND down straight to oil filter. Anything else to look for before I yank this pump out? Anyone have a problem with the o-ring on high pressure line to pump? Or maybe the seal between reservoir and pump, or actual shaft leaking? I've ordered the O-ring for the high pressure to pump fitting. Any info will be helpful. thanks.

Jul 24, 2012
What did you figure out when you pulled the pump?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You don't mention the Year of the Vehicle in your GMTN Profile or the present Mileage... But ...FWIW...Just for the Hell of it... Checkout the Price and Availability of THIS Re-Manufactured Power Steering Pump that comes WITH the Power Steering Fluid Reservoir. Not a Bad Deal if you want to completely avoid the hassles associated with have to Re-Build anything on or inside of the PSP:

REMANNEDPSP1.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it was the shaft, it would be pretty evident with oil slung around.

What you could do is completely clean everything off with brake cleaner and add some UV dye to the fluid. Run it a bit and check with a UV light. This should help pinpoint the leak location.

Apart from the reservoir to pump seal, the reservoir itself could have a crack.

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I always take it a step further. Order a new pump to get the vehicle on the road and also order a pump rebuild kit ($15 Rock Auto). Rebuild the old one in your spare time and put it on a shelf. I've found it makes it very unlikely that I'll ever need to change that part again. I guess Murphy doesn't like spare parts people, we're just not as much fun to screw with.

fj4072

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I need to do a better job of getting notifications when someone replies, sorry guys. 06 TB 4.2 240k. I ended up putting a dye into the reservoir. It was the shaft that ultimately started slinging fluid around. Replaced with an Cardone. It's junk, this Cardone sounds like an old Ford power steering unit, whining quite a bit. Even after I used a vacuum to get rid of any air. This pump likes to jerk a bit too while turning in parking lots at a standstill. I will be going with an AC Delco next time, as I used my OEM for a core charge.

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.