Power steering pressure line

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
So my pressure line is leaking pretty good. Been on the internet reading and most post are to old and no longer have pictures. So how bad is this job? Pretty sure the return lines are good seems to just be the pressure line

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's a pretty involved job on the 4.2 since it goes over the shock tower and under the engine. Look for another thread where there might a cheaper and easier solution by using hydraulic lines. He's just putting together the thread.

connorwallin

Jul 16, 2017
Philadelphia
I believe I am suffering from the same current issue on mine as well. 07 LS with 240,000+ on the clock. Saw the leaking puddle two days ago and brought to the local mechanic. Tried as simple hose fix that said works 98% of the time but just got a call today that it's a more involved job. Looks like they have to lift the engine up to get the hose ran through and replaced correctly. Looking like $500-$600 for the whole job.

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
I got under it today and looked and it goes from the pump over the wheel and down to the rack an pinion. I think the hardest part is going to be getting to the connection on the rack

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember i had to drop the rack down a bit so I could get to the small bolt that holds the pipes to the rack.

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
Ok so got the line done super easy only about 1 hour of work. BUT now that it's done it's making a pretty good wining sound. I cleaned everything perfectly before removing any lines so I know no debris got in there. After words I filled it up with fluid went lock to lock 20 times without starting the engine then started it and did the same thing. Fluid never got low. So idk if maybe there's some more air in the lines or what

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even as careful as you were, maybe some debris got in there, possibly in the return line. These pumps are rather fickle. I've had a Cardone rebuilt (big mistake) whine on me on the first day. Had to put in an ACDelco rebuilt to cure that one.

I say try to flush it some more and if it still whines, replace it.

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
I will do a flush. One thing that I'm wandering is the OEM line uses the cup seal. And in the bottom of the cup seal is a flap. The new design uses a O ring. Could it be that the flap restricts flow a little and that is why it's making a humming? Because it no longer has the cup seal

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
My 2003 leaks pretty badly. I purchased all 3 of the OEM Lines from O'Riley's this week and plan to do the job on Saturday when I transplant the brand new shocks and struts from the 9-7x. I prefer the OEM style rather than fiddling with hydraulic lines.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online