Power steering leak at rack connection

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hey everyone, it's been a long time. I was sidelined for a while due to a chronic pain condition, and as such I took my '03 TB off the road at the time. Been driving some more lately, and looking to get the ol' girl up and motoring again. There's a few issues, but for the most part she runs much the same when I parked. Now to the issue.

I know where the leak is. I know why the leak is. I changed my PS lines a couple years ago, and when I did, I thought I had a cup seal stuck in the rack, and spent copious amounts of time trying to remove it. This is highlighted in this thread:

So, long story short, I'm pretty sure I scratched up the inlet on the rack where one of the lines goes in, as I though I had a stuck seal that was already out. In doing so, I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the leak.

This TB has about 315k km on it. We plan on getting a more reliable vehicle down the line, been using one of the inlaw's rides for the time being. We don't drive daily, rather maybe twice a week?

So, my question is, would there be any way to stop this leak without replacing the rack? It's not that I don't want to do the job right, it's more that the value certainly isn't there given the cost for the part and the size of the job to replace. I don't think the seal itself is the problem, so pretty sure the stop leak stuff isn't going to do anything. Any ideas? Or just keep dumping PS fluid in as I need it?

Reactions: paul2005tb

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
What type of lines did you use, new style without the cup seal, or old style with the cup seal? reason I ask is I changed mine with the new style and could not get it to stop leaking, eventually replaced the leaking lines with the old style and no more issues.

Jul 24, 2012
Ah, the old value conversation.
it's more that the value certainly isn't there given the cost for the part and the size of the job to replace
I wish I could say that I have always been on the positive side of this one with all the work I have done. I'm almost certainly well ahead here, but sometimes there has been re-work on my screw ups, and in some cases the re-work has been significant.

Still, having replaced the rack, that job was a significant PITA, which if I could avoid doing again, I would definitely try.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
With 300k on the vehicle, one option is to install a bigger cooler AND put a heavy weight oil instead of the OEM power steering oil. Unless you push the steering like an indy 500 driver you will never notice the difference. The heavier oil will slow the drip per minute to a drip per hour.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
But I wonder if it might be too thick for winter driving? Something to keep in mind with this solution.

Reactions: paul2005tb

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.