Power Steering Flush

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I would like to flush my power steering today because I will be replacing the pump this afternoon. I don't want that old junk contaminating the new pump. So if I remove the incoming line to the cooler I should be good?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Someone had just talked about this recently:
http://gmtnation.com/f23/power-steering-flush-question-2322/

What I would do is unplug the return hose at the pump (it will create a mess or suck out as much as possible with a turket baster to minimize the mess), plug it at the pump reservoir and connect another clear hose to the return line out to a recovery bottle, refill the reservoir, start the engine, which will pump the old fluid out/new fluid in, stop the engine, refill again and get an assistant to start the engine and turn the wheel lock to lock as you refill the reservoir. Do this a couple of times until the fluid is clear. Reconnect the return line to the reservoir and refill it one last time. Turn lock to lock to ensure there is no air, check fluid level.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
Someone had just talked about this recently:
http://gmtnation.com/f23/power-steering-flush-question-2322/

What I would do is unplug the return hose at the pump (it will create a mess or suck out as much as possible with a turket baster to minimize the mess), plug it at the pump reservoir and connect another clear hose to the return line out to a recovery bottle, refill the reservoir, start the engine, which will pump the old fluid out/new fluid in, stop the engine, refill again and get an assistant to start the engine and turn the wheel lock to lock as you refill the reservoir. Do this a couple of times until the fluid is clear. Reconnect the return line to the reservoir and refill it one last time. Turn lock to lock to ensure there is no air, check fluid level.

This sounds like the best way because I will be flushing the cooler as well. Thanks Moose.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Has anyone had good luck with the aftermarket pumps such as the ones from Autozone or Advance Auto? I have the cash to get an AC Delco one but if the aftermarket ones work just as well then I will go that route. Of course the lifetime warranty from those two stores is appealing as well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I bought a rebuilt from Rockauto (Cardone I think) and it still had a slight whine. I did flush it and even tried a special vacuum method from the manual. Seems to work ok.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Shoot. I flushed it completely out a few weeks ago and now the pump is making more noise and is a bit harder to steer. Perhaps I need a new pump.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is that with the new/rebuilt pump? Check to see if you're not low and leaking somewhere. If you're still on the old pump, then it's time...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online