Power Steering Flush Question

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Flushing the power steering fluid is on my list of things I want to do now that the weather is once again conducive to non-hibernation activities. I was out there this morning looking to see what is involved, and have read the how-to with pics from the OS. I see tons of people do this themselves. My question is are you people contortionists or are you waiting for the circus to be in town and having some quadruple jointed bendy freak reach the hose on the bottom of the pump? If I reach over the pump and around I can just barely touch the hose clamp, so I imagine with some work I could get it off but I know I would make a hellacious mess, especially when it comes time to reconnect it, not to mention dumping an entire reservoir full of Royal Purple while trying to get it on there. Is there some better way to reach the bottom of the pump that i am missing?

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Good luck! I just used a turkey baster to remove mine and refill it a few times. Not a flush, but it was better than nothing.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
Good luck! I just used a turkey baster to remove mine and refill it a few times. Not a flush, but it was better than nothing.

That's the method I went with. I think I used four bottles. Sucked it out, refilled, turned the steering wheel back and forth many times to move the fluid, and repeated. I even drove a few times to work and back in between removing and filling. Came out looking pretty clean, not perfect but much better.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I could be wrong, but IMO the fuid is cheap and the mess involved in a "flush" isn't worth it. I'm going to keep useing the baster to remove and fill a couple more times but it already looks much better than it did before I started.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
My plan was to switch the PS fluid to Royal Purple as I have done with the differentials. I did the baster method last summer, pulling as much out of the res. as possible every weekend. Definitely got cleaner.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Another one for the turkey baster method with drives to mix everything up. Still want to do it once or twice more.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Tell me about it. I joined the turkey baster ranks myelf on this one years ago. I will say that if you follow that low pressure line, the other end of it should go to the power steering cooler with an easy access point in the front. That's where I added my power steering filter. I actually thought about adding the filter just before the pump but then when I took a closer look said %$#@ that. Just keep in mind that you start fooling around with pulling a line off of the rusty metal line of the cooler you could cause a leak, not saying you will but something to consider.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
JerryIrons said:
Tell me about it. I joined the turkey baster ranks myelf on this one years ago. I will say that if you follow that low pressure line, the other end of it should go to the power steering cooler with an easy access point in the front. That's where I added my power steering filter. I actually thought about adding the filter just before the pump but then when I took a closer look said %$#@ that. Just keep in mind that you start fooling around with pulling a line off of the rusty metal line of the cooler you could cause a leak, not saying you will but something to consider.

Good call, Maybe I'll try that. I am also planning to add a Magnefine filter in the power steering return line. What type of filter did you put in? And what fluid did you go with. I am thinking of using Royal Purple Max EZ as long as I find a place that still has quarts, partially because the purple color will help me know when the flush is done, and that's what I've changed some other fluids to as well.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When I flushed mine I removed the airbox and washer tank, giving me alot of room. I connected a 5/16" ID hose to the low pressure port on the pump and raised it up and plugging it with a bolt to prvent draining. Then I used a 5/16 ID hose about 2' in length with a hose barb on each end of a brass 90 deg elbow, I connected this to the low pressure hose, there is a hole under the washer tank that will allow the hose to drain down to a container. If you cannot suck out the fluid from the resevoir it will make a small mess but I used a Mityvac and cleaned out the resevoir.

Fill the resevoir up and when you start the motor, start turning the wheel from lock to lock. The pump will drain the resevoir very fast so you should be able to turn the wheel from lock to lock before it gets tight, shut the motor off as soon as it gets tight. I used about 3 quarts to clean it out.....Sears sells the PS fluid in quart jugs which makes it more economical.

Attachments

• IMAG1999.jpg
    IMAG1999.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG2000.jpg
    IMAG2000.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG2002.jpg
    IMAG2002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 15

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I bought a filter at napa, it was a raybestos and was good for either atf or power steering. It was magnetized also, you have to put it on with the correct flow direction. I just used napa power steering fluid. This time I did my flush by pulling off the steering gear, but only because it was leaking and needed replacing... (pics and procedure to follow soon on changing out a steering rack) good pics gmcman

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well, its a year later and I never did get around to doing this last summer, however I plan to do it this weekend, since i already have to pull the water pump and a few other projects. I'm thinking I'm going to do it from the bottom, and disconnect the return line where it comes out of the cooler. I'd like to add a Magnefine filter, which I need to order today to make sure its here in time. Can someone tell me what size the return line is? Is it 5/16? I decided to just go with Valvoline Power Steering fluid. I wanted to switch it to Royal Purple, but Max EZ is only in 12oz bottles now so it would cost too much.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
SBUBandit said:
Well, its a year later and I never did get around to doing this last summer, however I plan to do it this weekend, since i already have to pull the water pump and a few other projects. I'm thinking I'm going to do it from the bottom, and disconnect the return line where it comes out of the cooler. I'd like to add a Magnefine filter, which I need to order today to make sure its here in time. Can someone tell me what size the return line is? Is it 5/16? I decided to just go with Valvoline Power Steering fluid. I wanted to switch it to Royal Purple, but Max EZ is only in 12oz bottles now so it would cost too much.

Found a replacement hose online and its described as a 3/8" line, so I guess thats the size Magnefine I'll need

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.