Power steering fluid ?

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I had a rust hole show up in my pressure line in the common area in front of brake reservoir. Lost all my fluid and steering but made it home from work.

I did a temp patch that held up out of fuel injection line and 4 injection clamps. Till I could read up on replacement.

Being I thought doing a full power steering line job was over my head. I ended up going with a splice with brake line and double compression fittings. Still holding up today.

Now my question is. I used dextron III trans fluid to fill up the PS system. Because this is what I used in all my 60"s and 70's cars and trucks in past. Seems to be working fine. Just never thought about the newer stuff my not like it.

So what is the difference in the clear power steering fluid and the trans fluid?

Reactions: Redbeard

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Dye. Some cars take special fluid in the power steering pump. I've never checked to see if the TB/Envoy is one of them if it's not you should be fine. I myself am a stickler for using the proper fluids. Next time you have a leak you might have a problem diagnosing if it's a PS leak or a transmission leak.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I read dextron VI you posted above is a no no as PS fluid. I am using the older dex III older stuff. Do you have the sheet on that like the other posted.

Thanks

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I thought the caution spelled out specifically in the Valvoline pdfs was to never use the PS fluid in the tranny.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I would never use PS fluid as trans fluid as the trans needs the friction stuff for clutches etc.

Reactions: triz

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When my lines were leaky, I ran out of PS fluid and used Dex VI because that's what I had. No harm done although I started using PS fluid again so it was slowly flushing itself out. Now I replaced the lines and will go with only PS fluid because that's what it's for. In an emergency, no problem using Dex but if you can get the right stuff, use it.

Reactions: meerschm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR