Power steering bubbles

Truckerchaz

Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
Jeannette PA
Hi I could use some advice. 2004 . Trailblazer LT 4.2 . My power steering was really noisy like it was out of fluid . I went out to start TB yesterday and noticed there was no noise in fact pump wasn't working . Today I put a new pump on and can't get it to stop whining. It is full of foam. Could the rack be bad ? I bled system by turning wheel from lock to lock. All bubble are gone until I start engine then it's back to whining and foam .

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
It's possible that there was metal from the failed pump still in the system when you installed the new pump and the new pump has failed too.
At this point I would drive it and see if it might just take a while to bleed, what's to lose?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When you first bled it, did you do it with the engine running or not? I do it with the wheels off the ground, engine off and turn lock to lock several times. Makes less foam and gets the air out more quickly.

Give it another day or two. Foam will subside and eventually all the air will get out. If it keeps whining, the pump is a dud. It happens. Had a Cardone do that, got a rebuilt ACDelco and it was good.

It's possible that there was metal from the failed pump still in the system when you installed the new pump and the new pump has failed too.
That's why you also flush it first with the old pump to flush out all the old fluid and crud so the new pump never sees it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I replaced a steering box and P/S hoses in a truck a couple of years ago, and had bad air bleed issues, even though I (mostly) followed procedure for bleeding the air.
My local shop told me "new P/S pump". Turned out that the air worked itself out a couple of days later (although I eventually did have to replace the pump, but that was way later, and on my schedule).

If the system has foam, it's got too much air. When I had the air bleed issue after the replacement of the box / lines, I had filled the pump (and turned the wheel lock-to-lock) prior to starting the engine. But it only took a second for the system to suck all of the fluid out of the pump (and start whining / producing foam).

When I did the pump replacement (recently), I filled the pump reservoir to the opening. No air bleed / foam issues, and after a few minutes of running, the level had settled down where it was almost at the right spot (I remember having to add a tiny bit more, not siphoning out excess).

The Saginaw pumps are really sensitive to fluid level -- a couple of minutes without fluid can be a death sentence for them. Sometimes they'll work for awhile after being compromised. But they'll usually whine, at least part of the time, for the rest of their days.

I'd check to see if the rack / hoses have any visible leaks. While I had new fluid from having replaced all of it doing the box, lines (& hydroboost module!), it's probably possible to bleed the system via disconnecting the low-pressure return, capping off the pump orifice (with the little plugs that come with new pumps), and then letting the line bleed into a pan while you're refilling via the reservoir at the same time. You have to be quick about it, unless you've got someone to start / stop the engine, as needed.

Tip: Get a gallon-size container of P/S fluid (cheaper, vs. multiple quarts), and a smaller bottle to pour into the reservoir (I picked up a set of plastic ketchup / mustard bottles at the dollar store, which worked a treat.)

Reactions: Truckerchaz

Truckerchaz

Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
Jeannette PA
I replaced a steering box and P/S hoses in a truck a couple of years ago, and had bad air bleed issues, even though I (mostly) followed procedure for bleeding the air.
My local shop told me "new P/S pump". Turned out that the air worked itself out a couple of days later (although I eventually did have to replace the pump, but that was way later, and on my schedule).

If the system has foam, it's got too much air. When I had the air bleed issue after the replacement of the box / lines, I had filled the pump (and turned the wheel lock-to-lock) prior to starting the engine. But it only took a second for the system to suck all of the fluid out of the pump (and start whining / producing foam).

When I did the pump replacement (recently), I filled the pump reservoir to the opening. No air bleed / foam issues, and after a few minutes of running, the level had settled down where it was almost at the right spot (I remember having to add a tiny bit more, not siphoning out excess).

The Saginaw pumps are really sensitive to fluid level -- a couple of minutes without fluid can be a death sentence for them. Sometimes they'll work for awhile after being compromised. But they'll usually whine, at least part of the time, for the rest of their days.

I'd check to see if the rack / hoses have any visible leaks. While I had new fluid from having replaced all of it doing the box, lines (& hydroboost module!), it's probably possible to bleed the system via disconnecting the low-pressure return, capping off the pump orifice (with the little plugs that come with new pumps), and then letting the line bleed into a pan while you're refilling via the reservoir at the same time. You have to be quick about it, unless you've got someone to start / stop the engine, as needed.

Tip: Get a gallon-size container of P/S fluid (cheaper, vs. multiple quarts), and a smaller bottle to pour into the reservoir (I picked up a set of plastic ketchup / mustard bottles at the dollar store, which worked a treat.)
I do see that where the lines come up by left fender well that there is a piece of metal line replaced with rubber line , however it doesn't appear to b leaking there . Could that be my problem??

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Doubt it very much. It's likely the low pressure return line, not a suction line.

Truckerchaz

Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
Jeannette PA
I now see that fluid is dripping on ground from around pump area . It's dripping off of the plastic splash guard . I'll have to drop splash guard later once it stops raining.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mooseman , you think the rubber hose is low pressure line? Is that right?
Yes because a regular rubber line with clamps on the high pressure would not hold.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online