Power seat will not move forward or backwards

OPIEFAVORS

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
The power seat in my 2002 Trailblazer will not move forward or backwards. It will move up and down. It just started doing this. Wife cant reach pedals safely and she has a trip out of town tomorrow. I really need help fast. Thanks

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
If seat moves up and down, you should have power for the front to back movement.

A lot of times, this is caused by something jammed into the track, preventing movement.

If the tracks/rails are free, the horizontal motor may be burned out.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Is your vehicle equipped with the driver memory buttons, or no? I'd say either jammed track (do you hear the motor attempting to engage at least?), burnt-out motor (which may be caused by a jammed track), or a bad/loose/incomplete connection somewhere. I can provide details on wiring inspection if I know if you have memory seats or not.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Agreed on the possibly jammed motor. Does your voltmeter dip or interior lights dim while you're commanding seat movement? Sometimes the track gets jammed and some fiddling about with small flat-bladed screwdrivers can free iot. Sometimes the motor dies or the connector onthe wiring harness gets oxidized and goes open. Sometimes the motor works but the flexible driveshaft breaks. It all starts with unbolting the seat and digging deeper. Too early in the troubleshooting process to predict the root cause.

OPIEFAVORS

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
No memory seats. It dosnt seem to even try to respond to the button. The power does not dip either. Im willing to track some wiring issues. Where are the connection points on the seat?

My possibilites are bad motor, bad switch, or wiring/connection issue.

Dec 4, 2011
OPIEFAVORS said:
No memory seats. It dosnt seem to even try to respond to the button. The power does not dip either. Im willing to track some wiring issues. Where are the connection points on the seat?

My possibilites are bad motor, bad switch, or wiring/connection issue.

I have had this issue for several years with my drivers power seat. The binding seems to be the problem on mine. If you look under the seat you will notice an aluminum colored block, outboard side on the track about 6-7"s back. What i do is take a long screwdriver and place it on the that aluminum part and then give the end of the screwdriver a tap (not a heavy hit just a tap) with something usually a wrench I keep in my storage bin in the back. After doing this it has always then responded to the controls. Hope this keeps working as it is a cheap fix and only take 15 seconds every now and then. What i think is happening is that the screw drive is binding and then it won't move.

Hope this works for you. Please let me know if this works for you. If will be a lot cheaper than any other fix.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.