power mirrors??

jstephens

Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
how can i tell if my switch is bad or both my mirrors are bad.. i cant see both of them being bad.. they move but just up in the corners not full movement..

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I would check the DDM first, as those have a habit of going out due to water seepage in the door handle.

But then again it may be something completely different, and hopefully someone will chime in soon for more advice. I'm still new at the whole diagnosing bit.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Do you own a multimeter, or have access to one? Or maybe a test light?

Long shot, if you know of any friends or neighbors who also drive a TB/Envoy/Bravada/Rainier/Ascender, you can ask them to swap mirror switches with you as a test.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: Do you own a multimeter, or have access to one? Or maybe a test light?

Long shot, if you know of any friends or neighbors who also drive a TB/Envoy/Bravada/Rainier/Ascender, you can ask them to swap mirror switches with you as a test.

:thumbup:agreed, the ddm doesnt go bad from door handle seepage, its nowhere near the door handle, for that, infact it would have to be inside th door with the actual window for that to happen, it goes bad from water getting on it from the window you ever go to a drive through or the bank in the rain wheres that water go as soon as you roll the window down, it drips straight down onto the ddm when the window is cracked open, the mirror switch is my guess to, like carlton said, its literally right there in the elements, if it was the ddm you would have probs with the windows or locks

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
It does sound like the switch but a word of caution: do NOT use a test light on the mirror position switch. It actually contains a small circuit board with fine traces that will burn out with a regular automotive test light (ask me how I know).

Swapping switches is probably the easiest first step.

This may sound silly but try unplugging the mirror connectors from the DDM and PDM and reinstalling them. I've occasionally lost certain directions and this (for whatever reason) usually restores them. A longshot but it only takes 2 minutes.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
jstephens said:
.. they move but just up in the corners not full movement..
You didn't fill out your profile with the model year, but in my years of reading thousands of posts on the other site, it's not the switch, it's not the DDM. If the motors make any noise in response to switch movements it's purely a mechanical failure in the mirror assembly. 2002-3 were notorious for flaky gear trains in the outside assembly and GM replaced a pile of them in warranty. You can get cheaper aftermarket units on Ebay, but the mirror glass quality isn't up to OEM standards. But you can install the aftermarket assemblies, even upgrade to ones with the turn signal lamps in them if you don't have them now, and move over your OEM glass.

jstephens

Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
ya its a 2002 .. hey roadie is there any place that sells the clips or pieces of the sunroof track?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online