Powdercoated Rims

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
So one of my rims had a crack causing me to add air everyday. I found a set of stock rims on craigslist for 200 bucks. I brought them to work and sand blasted and powdercoated them. I like the end result, what do you guys think?

20160105_152113.jpg

20160108_110932.jpg

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The rims look good, wish I had easy access to a PC booth. I'm sure I'd use it frequently on stuff. :yes:

Reactions: DonnyDrywall

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very nice! How did you do the center caps since they are plastic?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
They look great, PC after sand blast is the only way to go. You see so many factory PC jobs done on structural steel with minimal prep. In a couple of years it's coming off in sheets. You did it right:2thumbsup: Mike.

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
The center caps are liquid painted with that krylon MAXX it took pretty good with a little prep. we also have a vinyl cutter so i cut bowties for the caps. and yes I powdercoat everything i can, antenna, wipper arms, control arms pretty much everything i take off for any job gets cleaned and powdercoated.
20160108_143626.jpg

20160108_143619.jpg

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
yeah we have a powdercoat primer that gets a half bake process where its coated with grey primer then baked to where the parts reach 350 degrees which is maintained for 5 mins then its pulled from the oven and cooled. after that color is applied in this case gloss black it's re-baked to where the part is heated to 450 and maintained for 10 mins.

The pictures are from today and its rainy and overcast here in michigan, so dont be fooled by the dull apperance. these rims are pretty glossy.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Love the bowties! :thumbsup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Those look badass powdercoated man! Kudos!

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
thanks guys, therealsethallen, you should look up a color called silver vain, I almost used this color but i could not figure out a way to make the caps match. my shop has done a few sets of rims this color for a corvette and a cadillac and it looks great.
heres the color
100_3649-300x200_1.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
thanks guys, therealsethallen, you should look up a color called silver vain, I almost used this color but i could not figure out a way to make the caps match. my shop has done a few sets of rims this color for a corvette and a cadillac and it looks great.
heres the color
100_3649-300x200_1.jpg
I like that, unique for sure man. That's a good color for accenting trim/etc.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
heres the color
100_3649-300x200_1.jpg
That looks a lot like the "Hammered Metal" line by Rustoleum. Might experiment with those liquid paints to get something close enough to work.

Reactions: Capote
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
heres the color
100_3649-300x200_1.jpg

I'm considering something like that in a slightly lighter color. I prefer something smoother and just ever so slightly lighter.

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I'd definitely powder coat a set of stock rims before I spent money on aftermarket rims. That is, unless I got a screaming deal on the rims! I ain't no fool.

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
This looks awesome! Like others, I wish I had access to a sand blaster and PC.
I am going to plasti dip the wheels on the TB cause its cheap and easy. If I could do this... ooooo.

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
This looks awesome! Like others, I wish I had access to a sand blaster and PC.
I am going to plasti dip the wheels on the TB cause its cheap and easy. If I could do this... ooooo.

Cheap and easy? Sounds like me!

I'd definitely rock a set of satin black factory rims. Everything else on my truck is either silver paint or black plastic. Too bad I'm not a Raiders fan.

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Threadjack: I checked with a local shop. They'll PC my rims for $40 each. I think that when it comes time for tires, which is soon, I may have the rims take a detour between dismounting and mounting.

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is a hell of a price. I would have set getting coated right now!

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Threadjack: I checked with a local shop. They'll PC my rims for $40 each. I think that when it comes time for tires, which is soon, I may have the rims take a detour between dismounting and mounting.

That's crazy cheap. There's no way that shop is making any kind of money. The work to strip the rim, sand blast, mask if needed is about 1hr for each rim give or take. Then you got the powder process aswell as oven time and finish coat(flat,satin,gloss,high gloss)so I just add another 30min per rim.

That is a great deal. I was quoted $125 per wheel at a local shop here in MD.

That's about right give or take for rim size.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online