possible transmission problem! please help!!! :(

TrailblazerLT

Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Ok guys I dont know if I am being paranoid or what but I have the sinking feeling there is something wrong with my transmission...

Lets start at the beginning... back in February of 2009 I had a local Chevy dealer flush my transmission because they said the fluid was burnt. I had 85000 miles at that point. Ok fine so I 132 bucks later it was flushed. Also at this point there was no problems and have been no "problems" until recently.

A few months back I was having a coil replaced under warranty and they found a whole list of things that needed to be done, including all my transmission lines. I was not happy about having to do this but they were rusting and leaking. I had them do it so 682 bucks later it is done. I was concerned about possible damage to my trans but they said they wouldnt be able to tell.

This is where i just dont know. It seems like it takes for ever to shift from 2 to 3 but the rpms dont seem to be excessive. In the RO they list needing only 2 quarts of ATF VI synthetic. Which sounds like a lot but doesnt because I know the trans needs a lot of fluid. I also know just because I was charged 2 quarts doesnt mean it was down that much.

So guys what do you think?? Is it possible there is damage? I also should mention I only have 110000 miles as of right now, so not much time between the flush and now.

Any help would be great!!!! Thanks!!!:smile:

Dec 4, 2011
Just my :twocents:

Since you said that your lines were rusty and leaking it is possible you were down a couple of quarts (tranny hold about 13 quarts when empty). If you were down this much perhaps it was taking a long time to shift due to the low fluid level. Does the problem still exist with the tranny up to full level?

I would never let anyone flush a tranny I own. Drop the pan, change the fluid yes but flush NO NO NO. I want the filter changed, and the pan cleaned of the debris in the pan.

This method will only get you about 5 or 6 quarts out the rest is in the torque converter. There are ways to get this out but there are different opinions on how to do it. I like letting the Gerotor pump displace the fluid at IDLE and then refilling with fresh fluid.

I also like having a tranny cooler installed in the return line to the tranny.

Again just my :twocents::twocents: OK inflation has overtaken me make it 4 cents.

TrailblazerLT

Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
RedEnvoyDenali said:
Just my :twocents:

Since you said that your lines were rusty and leaking it is possible you were down a couple of quarts (tranny hold about 13 quarts when empty). If you were down this much perhaps it was taking a long time to shift due to the low fluid level. Does the problem still exist with the tranny up to full level?

I would never let anyone flush a tranny I own. Drop the pan, change the fluid yes but flush NO NO NO. I want the filter changed, and the pan cleaned of the debris in the pan.

This method will only get you about 5 or 6 quarts out the rest is in the torque converter. There are ways to get this out but there are different opinions on how to do it. I like letting the Gerotor pump displace the fluid at IDLE and then refilling with fresh fluid.

I also like having a tranny cooler installed in the return line to the tranny.

Again just my :twocents::twocents: OK inflation has overtaken me make it 4 cents.

First of all thanks for the reply! However it seems that there might be a little confusion. I have had no problems with my trans before the flush and after the flush in 2009. The only reason they found the leaking lines was because it went in for a coil so I had no indication there was anything leaking.and the trans felt like it always had.

The repair order said they used 2 quarts of fluid but I know that they charge for 2 full quarts even if they only use a half quart from the second bottle so I don't know if it was down 2 full quarts.

Now my problem is when I asked about possible damage due to the low fluid, they told me it was impossible to tell if there was damage until the signs show up. I know fixing a tranny is a big expensive job so I don't know if what I am seeing as a potential problem is actually a problem or its just me paying more attention to the sounds and such and just making up the problem in my head....

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Every once in a while on my Envoy the RPM's seem to hang up at 3000. But it's usually because I get hard on the gas for a split second and have to let off due to someone pulling out in front of me. So it takes a minute for the truck to realize I let off the gas, and to lower the RPM's.

I wouldn't think being a quart or 2 shy in a tranny would cause immediate damage or problems. Or any issues at all(Don't take my word for it). I could see if you were running a much lower amount, say like down 8 quarts in a 13 quart transmission and for a extended period of time. I also know all to well about the paranoia some may have after fixing something, and waiting for the next Oh shit moment. I have done a lot of repairs to my 03 envoy in the 4 months I have had it(he is accident prone :wink:) so every time we fix something, I drive around with one eyebrow up, radio down, no AC, No windows down, and wait for the slightest noise/feeling of another possible problem lol.

If it really concerns you, most small mechanic shops don't charge very much to diagnose a possible issue. Just don't take it to the same people who did your flush/coil right off. They could either lie and say nothing is wrong when there is, or say something is wrong when there isn't. Take it to an unbiased shop. I was told by my dad, as I'm a woman, not to tell the shop exactly what you think is wrong, just tell them the truck feel's off or doesn't seem to be running up to par, and ask if they can have a look/listen around to it. I went in with a noise in the rear end from my buick, took it to the shop, said I think my rear end is going bad....they said yup you need new rear end, it will cost you $1500+ labor. I had a minor heart attack, ad took it to someone else, without mentioning my problem...found out it was something completely different, and a $75 dollar DIY fix and not the rear end.

I'm not sure if it was because I'm a woman and they tried to stiff me, but needless to say....I don't ever go there anymore.

And I second the NO NO NO on a transmission flush, it has been proven many times to cause further complications after a while in some vehicles.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I do agree that a flush on a tranny with higher miles is not a good idea, however, you said your lines are rusting or have rusted, therefore causing leaks...

Who's to say that some of that rust isn't in your tranny lines and the filter didn't catch the debris? Since you did a flush in '09, the fluid is rather "fresh", so I tink it would be fine to flush again if it was called for... I just did a pan drop and filter change while I was getting a new motor installed... my trans has 40k miles on it and the fluid was a litte burnt, so I decided not to flush... some people flush everytim, some just do a pan drop and filter change...

And if your over 5 quarts low causing the trans to slip, I would not drive it period... any slipping at any point causes damage somewhere somehow be it minor and not noticible, to major and needing new parts...

Do you experience power loss as well during any point in the power band? Or just notice a hesitation in rpm's when shifting from 2-3? Reason I ask, my DD ('01 Grand Prix GT) just had a clogged cat... the extended damage and part failures it caused, was a slipping tranny, I couldn't exceed 4,000 RPM without the trans wanting to slip and there was a huge amounts of power loss.. just throwing it out there as a possibility...

TrailblazerLT

Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Boricua SS said:
I do agree that a flush on a tranny with higher miles is not a good idea, however, you said your lines are rusting or have rusted, therefore causing leaks...

Who's to say that some of that rust isn't in your tranny lines and the filter didn't catch the debris? Since you did a flush in '09, the fluid is rather "fresh", so I tink it would be fine to flush again if it was called for... I just did a pan drop and filter change while I was getting a new motor installed... my trans has 40k miles on it and the fluid was a litte burnt, so I decided not to flush... some people flush everytim, some just do a pan drop and filter change...

And if your over 5 quarts low causing the trans to slip, I would not drive it period... any slipping at any point causes damage somewhere somehow be it minor and not noticible, to major and needing new parts...

Do you experience power loss as well during any point in the power band? Or just notice a hesitation in rpm's when shifting from 2-3? Reason I ask, my DD ('01 Grand Prix GT) just had a clogged cat... the extended damage and part failures it caused, was a slipping tranny, I couldn't exceed 4,000 RPM without the trans wanting to slip and there was a huge amounts of power loss.. just throwing it out there as a possibility...

Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate the feedback, it seems as though some are concentrating more on the fact I had my trans flushed 3 years ago than my actual question lol. Don't get me wrong I really do appreciate the help but the trans worked fine up to the flush in 2009 and after the flush.

Like I said before the dealer only charged me for 2 quarts of oil, so I guess out of the entire system that is not too much.

As for your questions, Boricua SS, I have not noticed any power loss at all or any sort of hesitations. What I though I have been noticing was it taking a little longer shifting from 2 to 3. I am not sure what the normal range is as far as rpms go but looking at the tach while driving I don't think the rpms are more than what I would say is normal. In other words it doesnt seem to rev up too high before the shift.

When I was at the dealer having my coil changed they found the trans lines to be rusty and leaking, now I don't know if they all were leaking or just one was leaking and the rest were rusty so rather than do them one by one they just said I should do them all. Do you think I should have the trans flushed again or just a fluid and filter change to make sure there is not rust or debris inside the trans???

Today however I am going to get out my motive power bleeder and flush my brake system, replace my rear sway bar links and change the oil.

Thanks again guys!! Any other opinions are greatly appreciated!! :smile:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Yea, honestly, if after the flush started giving you these problems, then I wouldn't flush again... I would just drop the pan and investigate and just change the filter again...

Hope you can get it figured out or hope its really no issues at all and that its just your mind playing tricks on you :thumbsup:

TrailblazerLT

Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Yea, honestly, if after the flush started giving you these problems, then I wouldn't flush again... I would just drop the pan and investigate and just change the filter again...

Hope you can get it figured out or hope its really no issues at all and that its just your mind playing tricks on you :thumbsup:

Actually I had no problems after the flush...honestly I am not sure if I actually have a problem. I think it's just in my head because I was down a quart or 2. I will probably have it looked at anyway becuase I am still under warranty until August!

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I used 5 gallons/20 quarts of Royal Purple tranny fluid to flush out and fill up. If the lines just needed changing and they done so without the engine running, then no more than 2 quarts are needed. You don't loose much fluid with the engine off. Also if rust was in your pan, most likely the magnet would had caught them.

Check the tranny dip stick while engine is running and after atleast 10 minutes of driving. You'll see what level you're at.

If you're low, add more ATF. If you're still under warranty, don't worry about it. Just chew the dealership up for us.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.