possible rear axle bearing 04 Tblazer 4.2

dla442

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
a nice humming noise when its driven after less that a mile. swaying left to right, the humming tone changes. it has rather old aggressive tread tires(in laws bought an off road tire tread and they are near the wear bars) on it that could be cupped on the inside. Just bought from the in laws. when i checked for bearings, no play in the fronts, rear dr side i noticed some possible movement other than the normal in and out play along the axis of the axle. The movement is pushing on the tire at 4 and 7 o'clock upwards in direction. Any threads about replacing these outer rear bearings if needed to do so? if new tires don't cure the hum then will be looking into this issue. 185k miles and it has been driven by grandma the whole time! it seems to be a consistent hum after 40 mph. doesn't really get worse at 70/80 mph etc. Any way, im mechanically inclined and can do this job myself rather than a mechanic. Just looking for advice if it come to this job.

fyi, im back in the trailblazer world again(car for my 16 y/o) and its been a while since be on. glad to see gmtnation is still vibrant and active!

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
If there is up and down play I would say that the bearing is bad. They're not too difficult to do. You have to take the cover off of the differential and take the C-clips out to get the axle shaft out. You may wind up having to replace the axle shaft because there is a possibility that the the bearing surface is pitted. If that is the case, I recommend just buying a new axle. I've never had good luck with the repair bearings lasting very long.

Reactions: Redbeard

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
I agree, the sleeves are junk. Buy an axle if needed. Don't let the spider gears fall out when sliding the shaft down to get at c clips. Push axle in and use a magnet to pull the clips you will need a good slide hammer to get the bearing out.
Don't forget a new seal while at the parts store.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just be sure it's coming from.the rear. Front hubs may feel fine but can be noisy long before actual.failure.

Haven't heard of too many failures of these rear axles but seals, yes. If these is an axle bearing failure, it will most certainly have worn a groove in the axle and caused a leak so be prepared for brake replacements.

Reactions: Redbeard

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
I had this happen with my son's car which he bought at an auction. I was sure that it was a bearing sound. Replaced the bearing myself, but sound remained. Suddenly realized right away by feeling the inside tread with my hand that the tire was badly cupped. Glad that you didn't do the bearing first like I did......

Reactions: dla442 and Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online