Possible HID's in my future

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Guys I saw a Caddy Escalade yesterday and it had some nice HIDs on it. Was wondering that if i do this mod would I need to adhere to some DOT standard or are these things illegal if purchased aftermarket? I have hear that there are no aftermarket DOT legal conversion kits. Is this true?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I hear it is different from area to area, so either a call to an certified state vehicle inspector, or alot of google searching is in your future. I have seen nothing for my area, and I see people driving with bright pink, purple even red bulbs :crazy:. I went with 6000K and love them.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I hear it is different from area to area, so either a call to an certified state vehicle inspector, or alot of google searching is in your future. I have seen nothing for my area, and I see people driving with bright pink, purple even red bulbs :crazy:. I went with 6000K and love them.

Did you have to get new cans? Because the OEM ones will melt right?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Completely stock headlights for 3 months with no issues. I had both high and low beam HID 6000k.

I recently switched to the eagle eye projector headlights. I love them but they need to be modified. It will be soon.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Technically HID's in a non projector housing is "illegal" but I have had mine for 2 years and drove behind cops past them etc etc and no problems! You will be fine! All you should worry about is the DRL's and aim the lights right. you do not need any DOT legal lights or anything like that! Now people get pulled over for lights too blue or pink or purple etc!

If you stick to 35W lights then no melting!

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Technically HID's in a non projector housing is "illegal" but I have had mine for 2 years and drove behind cops past them etc etc and no problems! You will be fine! All you should worry about is the DRL's and aim the lights right. you do not need any DOT legal lights or anything like that! Now people get pulled over for lights too blue or pink or purple etc!

If you stick to 35W lights then no melting!

Yeah i was thinking around 5-6K because they are white. I have read a little about the 10K people getting pulled over becasue they were too blue.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Yeah i was thinking around 5-6K becasue they are white. I have read a little about the 10K people getting pulled over becasue they were too blue.

Oh yeah 5k and 6k is more then fine! Now if you do fog lights, then make sure you get NO blue because I hear soo many people get pulled over for blue fogs or blue in there fogs! So me personally I say 5k and under

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So those jackwipes coming at me on the other side of the highway at night blinding me! They don't have their HIDs aimed right then?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
CaptainXL said:
So those jackwipes coming at me on the other side of the highway at night blinding me! They don't have their HIDs aimed right then?

Either that or they have a 55W kit or they are stupid and there high beams are on lol

I actually had to aim my lights up a bit because they were so low. Just aim them up and then set the car on the road and walk in front of it at a good distance and see if its blinding to you or not

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Either that or they have a 55W kit or they are stupid and there high beams are on lol

I actually had to aim my lights up a bit because they were so low. Just aim them up and then set the car on the road and walk in front of it at a good distance and see if its blinding to you or not

Hell no. I wanna stare down Sasquatch when I see him!

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
In many states, HID lamps are illegal if thy are not factory installed. I have not personally heard of cases where people are harassed for anything other than the color temp. In Jersey, the color is all they regulate. I failed inspection for having 6k lamps because they have a slight blue tint.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
It's been posted before. There is a federal regulation which prohibits installing HID lighting in any vehicle that didn't come with HID lighting. However, very few (if any) state or local law enforcement agencies have the authority to enforce federal regulation, unless they have a state or local ordinance which mirrors the federal regulation.

Most law enforcement officers won't even notice unless 1) there's too much light output and/or aimed incorrectly, or 2) the color issue. :twocents:

I just installed 35W 5000K in my Tahoe after installing projector housings. There is no noticeable blue. (it probably helps that my parking lights are 6000K LEDs) :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online