POR-15

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thinking about applying this to my frame / underbody (in the rust prone areas).

Looking for others who might have done those sections of their truck, and find out:

- How well they thought it worked? (please indicate 'when applied', if you can)

- What quantities did it take of the metal prep and the POR-15 to cover your truck?
(I will go over the underside with a wire wheel before putting on the metal prep; saw this in one of Sparky's old posts, and I was going to do it anyway). I do have the LWB, so a little more frame, etc., to cover.

I don't see the point of the 'cleaner / degreaser' to be honest.

Application tips are welcome as well. Thanks!

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I've used Por15 on a set of lower control arms on a friends '72 Nova. Painted them back in the spring of 2007 and as far as I know, they're still looking good. The vehicle is located up north in Toms River, NJ, driven for fun, and I'm pretty sure that it does not see much snow/road salt. They were painted while they were off of the vehicle, so I got into every small area and they looked absolutely stellar afterwards.

Anyhow, the front frame on my previous Envoy had signs of pitting rust and starting to flake in some small area's behind the upper ball joints and I used a different version of paint called "Chassis Saver". A local automotive body supply store had it in stock and it was pretty sturdy stuff. From the time that I painted my frame rails [within the wheel wells] until the day I traded it in for my Acadia, the paint held strong and did not chip away. It was on there for a good 3.5 years and endured quite a few snow storms. The chassis paint did not look purdy, so there were never any pics taken. :biggrin:

I had access to a sandblaster when I lived up north, so I used that to blast-away some of the rust. While basting, I used a welders drop cloth to protect the struts, rubber part of the brake hoses and ABS lines from the sand. Cleaned the surface with wax/grease remover, let dry, then started brushing on the paint. One quart of Chassis Saver did 2 coats of both frame rails within the front inner wheel wells with no problem. Still had some left over afterwards.

One problem with the Por15 is that once the can is opened, just go ahead and use as much as you can within a few days. The open air will eventually dry out the contents of whatever is left in the can. Doesn't matter how tight of the seal you made on the lid when finished. And that stuff dries like epoxy!

Oh, and be sure to wear gloves, too. Ask me how I know.... :duh:

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I've used POR-15 for years on many different vehicles. Plan on doing the frame on my Rainier shortly...
Best product I've ever seen for this kind of application! The stuff just works is all I can say. I use their degreaser and metal prep after getting anything loose off the surface...they have good engine/exhaust/caliper paint too

Follow their directions and process and you will be happy with the result I'm quite sure

Reactions: Reprise

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I wish I knew the stuff they undercoated my TrailBlazer with because it's 15 years old and only just now starting to flake in a few high impact areas (mine came with a dealer-installed aftermarket undercoating). I also used to do on-call snow removal, so I racked up miles driving to job sites in bad conditions.

I helped a friend POR-15 his ZR2 S-10 frame and bed underside and I guess we either didn't prep the frame well enough or didn't put it on thick enough, but it has some flakes after only 50k miles. The truck sees mostly highway miles, but does get driven off-road in questionable conditions regularly. I'm not sure if we're to blame, or the product.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Probably used Ziebart, it is some of the best on the market and used through a lot of dealerships. We use to use it in the military when I was overseas.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Machoman

Mar 10, 2014
POR-15 is some expensive stuff. I would try and knock lose all the rust you can. It has to be keep out of the sun or it will break down. Being that it is just on the frame you should be ok. I have used this on my boat trailer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online