Popping blower motor resistors...

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Hi guys. For the passed few months I keep popping my blower motor resistor packs and the main 40amp fuse under the hood to go along with it. At first everything was good. Then I lost speed control 5. Replaced the BMRP with a 20 dollar aftermarket and everything worked again. Fast forward two months and all speeds stop working so I bought another bmrp. Stuck that in and nothing turned on. I could hear the clicking when turning to 5 so I know the pack was working. I turned the dial on 5 a few more times for a quick test and I would see electrical smoke come from the blower motor itself. So, I Bought a new blower/motor and replaced it and only speed 5 would work after the replacement on my now 2nd bmrp replacement. While doing those speed 5 tests with the blower not working, I popped 4, 40 amp fuses in the process. Fast forward to 5 days ago the fuse popped again under the hood for the 3rd time. This was using the same (2nd) blower motor resistor pack that would only work on speed 5 after the replacement. I just ordered an acdelco pack and some new 40 amp fuses from rock auto and will install them this weekend. Do I have some sort of ground issue, or is it the junk aftermarket bmrp’s I keep buying causing this? (I’m sorry if I lost anyone in this thread, it was kind of confusing to read.) thanks guys.

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Have you checked the flat 7 pin connector on the resistor for damage ? Look for melting of the plastic from excessive heat of a lose connection.

Reactions: JerryIrons

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
You can get in a vicious circle with the blower motor ruining the resistor, connector and vice versa. I had some trouble like that, and finally just broke down and put all new blower motor, resistor and connector on. I suspect your blower motor was running hot (they get older and build up more resistance), and ruining the resistors so make sure you check that wire connector, it will probably need replacing as well.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
If you are blowing fuses that's a sure sign that the connector needs to be replaced as well. This is very common with this generation of GMs. Not just GMTs, but all GM vehicles from 2003-2011. You will have to cut the wires and rewire the new connector.

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Thanks guys. I replaced the connector as well after the second resistor pack was installed. I’ll be adding a new 40 amp fuse and a brand new ACDELCO bmrp today. Since th blower itself is now only 2 months old, fingers crossed everything plays nice. Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.