Popped my Cherry! First SES Light!!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, almost 2 years into ownership, and my first check engine light..

Code P0493. It looks like it has something to due with the fan clutch, or fan speed. Not sure, never delt with this type of a fan system before. Anyways..

So I parked the XUV om Saturday morning when I got home from work. no SES light. Left for work on Monday afternoon, and it was on. Cycled the key a couple times to much sure it wasnt just a computer hang up or something, no change.

Tuesday afternoon, started the truck, and no more SES light. WTF?

The fan, and fan clutch were replaced back in April by the dealer, the ECM was also reflashed.

Worry about, or forget about it until the light pops on again?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
TollKeeper said:
Well, almost 2 years into ownership, and my first check engine light..
You've been around that short a time? I could swear it's been about five. :rotfl:
Code P0493. It looks like it has something to due with the fan clutch, or fan speed. Not sure, never delt with this type of a fan system before.
Traditional snarky comeback: I'll alert Google there is an outage in your neighborhood. :wink:
Worry about, or forget about it until the light pops on again?
Fuggedaboudit. It's a very unusual code that the PCM thinks the fan RPM is over 6800 RPM. Surely you'd notice the afterburner roar if that was a true readout. Check the wiring harness for nicks and unplug the connector and replug it a few times to clean off oxidation. Is there a warranty on that clutch from Mr. Goodwrench?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Actually, I did google it, but the only sites that really came up were on the "OS", and I am not giving that site any google clicks that it doesnt deserve...:raspberry:

Past that.. Yeap, only been 2 years. Bought it in November of 2010, put just about 30k on it so far. Great truck, and the XUV stuff has been a money saver over and over. Pickup when you need it, tent when you need it, and a grocery getter when you need it.

As far as the warrenty goes, its all still under warrenty. Bought an after market warrenty when I bought it. It has paid for itself. Alternator, water pump, fan clutch, front struts, front end alignment, all 4 stabilizer links, rear tail gate push buttons, power seat controller, ECM reflash, and a few other things I cant remember.

So forget about it.. What am I forgetting about again?

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
TollKeeper said:
... Alternator, water pump, fan clutch, front struts, front end alignment, all 4 stabilizer links, rear tail gate push buttons, power seat controller, ECM reflash, and a few other things I cant remember...
I see I have so many things to look forward to. :no: :biggrin:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
BuckeyeEvan said:
I see I have so many things to look forward to. :no: :biggrin:

You have no idea! Truly lol :biggrin: But despite the problems related to this platform, it is still an amazing vehicle! Well worth getting greasy for :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional

Members Online