NEED HELP Poor Ride Quality

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, after turning 175k miles today my truck is continuing to ride poorly. The rear end is very wobbly and poorly composed and nothing has solved my ongoing (bad) bumpsteer issue. I'm at a complete loss.

NEW ISSUE- The Rear end steps out on hard braking or acceleration. Wobbles like crazy down the highway, you can feel it in your seat.

New Parts

Control Arms, Upper and Lower.
Lower Ball Joints.
Outer Tie Rod Ends.
Front Sway Bar Bushings
Front Sway Bar Endlinks
U-Joints
Monroe Shocks and Struts All Around
New Tires in December, twice balanced since.
I've had a four wheel allignment done three times since December.

This truck rides horrible and it's driving me insane. I'm at a complete loss. It wiggles down the highway and doesn't feel safe or comfortable driving it. Part of the reason why I bought the Volvo for a daily. I'm not in the budget for a new car, and I'm really honestly sick of putting half chunks my paychecks into just keeping this thing alive. What makes it worse is everyone tells me I'm just being a hypochondriac and it's fine. It rides like shit, it's not fine.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So, after turning 175k miles today my truck is continuing to ride poorly. The rear end is very wobbly and poorly composed and nothing has solved my ongoing (bad) bumpsteer issue. I'm at a complete loss.

NEW ISSUE- The Rear end steps out on hard braking or acceleration. Wobbles like crazy down the highway, you can feel it in your seat.

New Parts

Control Arms, Upper and Lower.
Lower Ball Joints.
Outer Tie Rod Ends.
Front Sway Bar Bushings
Front Sway Bar Endlinks
U-Joints
Monroe Shocks and Struts All Around
New Tires in December, twice balanced since.
I've had a four wheel allignment done three times since December.

This truck rides horrible and it's driving me insane. I'm at a complete loss. It wiggles down the highway and doesn't feel safe or comfortable driving it. Part of the reason why I bought the Volvo for a daily. I'm not in the budget for a new car, and I'm really honestly sick of putting half chunks my paychecks into just keeping this thing alive. What makes it worse is everyone tells me I'm just being a hypochondriac and it's fine. It rides like shit, it's not fine.
Got any vibration sensation in the steering wheel? Have you took a look at the yoke's? What about your rear axle? Have you serviced it at all?

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Axle was serviced at 130k with Mobil1 75-90, looked good then.
No hum or moaning.
Haven't looked into the Yoke. Never crossed my mind if I'm honest.
Wheel is well composed.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
For kicks, inspect your rear trailing arms, uppers and lowers.

I broke each of the uppers on my old GMT360. Both times it made it drive rather weird, but in different ways depending on the side that was broken.

First was from some massive crater of a pothole in the highway (blasted my alignment way off too and about sent me into the side of a semi truck). Second time it just rusted through and broke.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
There is no four wheel alignment for the GMT-360 line. Sounds like either a rear axle is messed up or a rear suspension components is bent.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Push the truck side to side and see how much it moves (rear that is) it's possible the rear bushings are going or there are other issues like others have said.

If the rear is that loose I'd check the shocks as well. The Monroe's in the voy are very uncontrolled compared to the bilsteins in my tb... If it's actually stepping out the shafts could be moving in the tube on the bearings or the bushings are going. The rear not being right will cause a good portion of what you describe.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I'll put a +1 on rear control/trailing arms and bushings.. panhard bar too...
as said too it is conceivable your axles themselves could be stepping out... haven't seen that very often on any GM rear tho...

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I feel like the cheap-ass Monroes have something to do with it. I'm going to take a set of shocks off off one of my parts trucks and see if that's it. I honestly don't remember it being this bad until I put the Monroes in. But I've also trailered very heavily with the truck and the rear bearings could be toast.

I'll be instaling new rear pads and rotors on Sunday afternoon. The ones on the truck now are 2 years old and the driver's side rotor is starting to rot away quite badly. I'll check all the rear bolts and bushings then.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online