POLL: Section to talk about shops, tools, etc..?

Would you see a benefit and would you use a section for talk about shops, tools, etc..?

• YES

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • NO

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As suggested by @02Bravada in the thread Section to talk about shops, tools, etc..? , would you see a benefit and would you use a section for such a sub-section?

I can see the value in having this instead of having such info spread out everywhere. Since this is not tied to a specific type of vehicle or model, I think being in the Community Lounge section is the best approach.

We'll run this poll for 5 days to get feelers and suggestions.

Reactions: flyinghigh1970

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I think expanding the existing 'tool' category to allow expansion into 'tool and shop' would be sufficient (and no need to change the title, just the descriptor underneath.) Add ' / shop' and done.

I don't mind talking about the subject at all; just don't think it needs a separate branch on the tree, if you will. But that's me. :smile:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What "Tool" category are you referring to? There is the On-Board Diagnostics and Controls section. I know there is the "Tool Talk" thread, which would ultimately wind up in this new section and be locked, but then, moving forward, each tool would have its own thread. Having all the tools in a single thread makes it difficult to search through. Same for shop setups.

NoDak Ninja

Aug 7, 2013
I think expanding the existing 'tool' category

There's a tool category? I am not seeing it...hence my suggestion.

just don't think it needs a separate branch on the tree, if you will.

I'd disagree there. The spaces we work in and the tools we use is a pretty big branch. I envision it to be a nice area to collect info about tools so newbies, or even old timers, can learn about them. There are a lot of specialized tools in the automotive world, and it would be nice to have an area to talk about them without having to scroll or search through a monstrously long thread.

Same goes for workspaces; I always enjoy looking at other people's workspaces to find ideas to make mine more organized and efficient and just plain enjoyable. In fact, generally I'd rather see pictures of people's workspaces and tool collection than their vehicles.

Last edited:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I still like the tool talk thread but to be honest it's been pretty quiet in there. I can see how a whole new section for shops, tools etc is a nice idea and probably get some attention but there aren't alot, if not most of use that dont have our own "shops". I say most of us are shade tree, driveway, weekend, DIY mechanic's with a few toys. lol. No offense to the 10% of guys that are actually on here that are mechanic's by trade . But hey I'm with it if it does happen and I can add to it.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I mean the tool talk thread can be a little cluttered at times but... imo having a dedicated thread isn't a horrible idea as far as far as recommendations...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I think most of the actual tool usage/experience discussions take place in tech threads. The fan clutch/water pump threads come to mind. :undecided:

If we were going to split tools off into their own section(s), how granular would we want to go before things could get too watered down? Hand/Electric/Air/Hydraulic tool subsections maybe?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although I don't have much of a "shop", just a small garage that barely fits a sled, I think there would be value for tools to be talked about and detailed. Heck, I already have ideas for shop stuff like LED lighting replacing fluorescent tubes.

@Blckshdw , I like your idea but I don't think we need to further split it up. May just Tools and Shop Setups. Or just one sub-section under the main lounge section would suffice for the volume of posts and info.

NoDak Ninja

Aug 7, 2013
I originally said "shop" but I guess I really meant "workspace". It's interesting to me to see where people work on their vehicles, regardless of it's a multi million dollar dealership tech center or a spot out under an oak in the backyard. There's things to be learned from everyone. Especially the guys with small garages/sheds. Ideas for maximizing space are always helpful.

I agree with @Mooseman that it doesn't need to be a huge section. Just something a little more than a single thread. A thread is fine for you guys who visit here multiple times a day, every day. It's like getting a daily newspaper; you can keep on top of all the latest entries. But for occasional visitors, a single massive thread full of info is like going through an encyclopedia that isn't alphabetized.

:twocents:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am gonna be lucky enough to have a shop to use shortly. My dad finally figured as he was retiring that he may as well build something. I think it is 36x60 with concrete, water, electric. air, lifts. Then he basically says, I expect you to use it more than me, but you get to work on my stuff too. OK...fair enough

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
What "Tool" category are you referring to? There is theOn-Board Diagnostics and Controls section. I know there is the "Tool Talk" thread, which would ultimately wind up in this new section and be locked, but then, moving forward, each tool would have its own thread. Having all the tools in a single thread makes it difficult to search through. Same for shop setups.

You're right. I thought "Tool Talk" was a section, and it's a thread. Has to do with the way I use this site - I use the 'What's New' button, 90% of the time, and don't navigate the tree. Embarrassed to say that I rushed to judgement w/o having my facts in order.

On edit: Kudos to whomever had the foresight to allow changing of a previously cast vote. I was thankful to be able to do so.

There's a tool category? I am not seeing it...hence my suggestion.

As above...and given what I said above, I think this deserves a section and have changed my vote, accordingly. In fact, I think subcats on tool types would be justified.

Then he basically says, I expect you to use it more than me, but you get to work on my stuff too. OK...fair enough

That *is* fair, for the resources you'll have at your disposal. Unless he decides to start an auto repair business and have you as his captive resource...LOL. Nice deal - I'm envious!

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I think I would spend a decent amount of time in a tool/shop area. Tool buying never really stops and it would be nice to hear about some hands-on experience with different makes/models of tools. Hand tools, LED lights, and Scan Tools is where my focus would be.

I have a BlueDriver OBD2 reader that does a really good job helping me out. I think I'm going to jump to the next level and get a bidirectional communication scanner. I'm just not sure if I should get a Tech 2 (overseas version) or one of the new Android based models. Anyway, just a discussion point/idea that could be had in a tools section.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you want a Tech2, also check out your local CL; that's where I found mine.

In my case, the guy was a retired GM tech. Got it for $400, and it's a real-deal version.

Since most of the baby-boomer techs are (soon-to-be) retired, I expect some of these to become available, as time passes.
Guessing the younger guys might keep theirs, even though the new tool is suppose to be bkwd compatible.

Reactions: flyinghigh1970

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a BlueDriver OBD2 reader that does a really good job helping me out. I think I'm going to jump to the next level and get a bidirectional communication scanner. I'm just not sure if I should get a Tech 2 (overseas version) or one of the new Android based models.
If you want a Tech2, also check out your local CL; that's where I found mine.

In my case, the guy was a retired GM tech. Got it for $400, and it's a real-deal version.

We already have a section for OBD tools and sub-sections for each type (Tech 2, Other scan tools, EFI Live, HP Tuners, etc.
On-Board Diagnostics and Controls

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

NoDak Ninja

Aug 7, 2013
We could take On-Board Diagnostics and Controls turn it into Tools and Workspaces. Add a Tool Talk and Workspaces sub forums.

I like that. Maybe rename it "Tools and Testing". Leave the current subcats and add; "Other Inspection Tools", "Hand Tools", "Power Tools", and "Workspaces". The "Other" being for testing equipment for vacuum , electrical, hydraulic, etc...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think we should get to that kind of granularity for the tools. I'd just have the main sub-category Tools and another for Workspace.

Looking at the On-Board Diagnostics and Controls section, there are only two sub-sections that really have any activity; Tech 2 and Scan Tools. I'd merge the other three under a single "Tuning Software" sub-section just to clean things up a bit.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:bump:

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
As soon as this section is created, I'm going to add a thead for J-tool substitution/ availability (possible loan / sell -?)

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Can't be any worse than my driveway!

Reactions: Eric04

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Let's get this rolling I want to put up a bunch of pretty pic like these.20190126_131332.jpg
20190126_131324.jpg
20190126_131253.jpg
We are supposed to be recieving the equipment from Bullet Liner in the next few months I hope. This area where the bike is is going to be dedicated to just spraying.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, the poll is now closed and overwhelmingly in favour of such a category. We'll get back after deliberation on how it will setup. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online