(Poll) Ignition switch question...

Should I replace the switch

• Just do it.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Don't worry about it

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Just carry one with you for when it goes.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Other. (Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
So here's the thing, I've been driving the truck a lot for work lately (~1000 miles a week) and I've had this in the back of my mind now for a while. I have yet to replace my ignition switch in the roughly 100k I've had the truck. That being said I think I have some symptoms of it going out. For example, random CEL flashes, abs randomly engaging while going around turns and occasional stalling. On top of all this my battery light randomly lights up faintly. I'm not sure if all of these are related but in your guys opinion what should I do, it would really suck to have it go out at work but if it's fine then I won't bother. Previous owner didn't list it as replaced either so at 190k and still working makes me wonder.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I just keep a spare in the center console so no worries. Could do that if you are worried. I just figured one of these days in the middle of the woods that someone's would fail and i may as well be prepared.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Although I've replaced mine in the last few years, I also keep a spare one in the glove box just in case I'm away from home if/when the current one flakes out on me. :iagree: if it's bugging you that much, go ahead and change it out. If that doesn't solve your problem, then you've got a good spare on hand for down the road.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Fair enough gents. I mean it is pretty straight forward to do so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had it on me. I carry some tools all the time.

Reactions: xavierny25

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I never replaced mine in my 02 and it never failed (I thought it did once, tried another, no change, so w/e). That said, you've got some weird symptoms going on so it wouldn't hurt to just go ahead and replace it, and maybe then carry your old one as a spare just in case something went total bad on the replacement at least you know this one could get you home.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
My '04 ignition switch never gave me any problems. But since the mrs. was beginning to have difficulties with the key and "everyone" else had problems with the ignition switch and I was ajacent to the switch & changing the key lockout anyhow, the switch was changed at the same time. I did learn of a new idiot light on the dash that I wasn't aware of "security". Just disconnect the battery, again, for 30 minutes and that idiot light went away. fwiw rock auto was cheaper than amazon on total cost of the a/c delco parts -key lock & ignition. (shipping was cheaper than the tax amazon would have collected too) And on the switch from a/c delco it was marked where to keep the open area of the switch for installation-but no note was mentioned in the paperwork. I saw this after I installed it wrong the first time :smile:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm on 172k miles with the original and I keep a new acdelco spare in the trunk... The tbss on the other hand had an issue with the ignition switch with only about 50k on the dash. It's a mixed bag of nuts on when they will go but if your seems flakey switch it out. Oh and always keep a spare.

brianlibby791

Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
So here's the thing, I've been driving the truck a lot for work lately (~1000 miles a week) and I've had this in the back of my mind now for a while. I have yet to replace my ignition switch in the roughly 100k I've had the truck. That being said I think I have some symptoms of it going out. For example, random CEL flashes, abs randomly engaging while going around turns and occasional stalling. On top of all this my battery light randomly lights up faintly. I'm not sure if all of these are related but in your guys opinion what should I do, it would really suck to have it go out at work but if it's fine then I won't bother. Previous owner didn't list it as replaced either so at 190k and still working makes me wonder.
The tools that where in the project truck and that were used to pull the engine? Which are in the garage still:rotfl:.

Buy two, bite the bullet and replace it. The stalling has been going on for awhile so just do it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine in the '02 was still good after +300k km so I kept it. As said, it's a mixed bag for failures.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
They're Fussy Little Things... so JFTHOI... Set them side by side and eyeball a Perfect Teeth Alignment B4 installing the OEM New One... Or take a close-up Snap of the Old One to refer to later if any unlikely issues occur... Oh...and Keep that Old One as well. :>)

Reactions: Redbeard

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm still on my original in my 02, plus the original TCCM and 4WD switch, although I think those two on their way out.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Never had to change one in the approx 220k miles my Envoy had before I sold it, and I knew the previous owner, he never changed it either. Sometimes the originals can last!

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.