Polishing rims

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Hey all i am looking at polishing my factory 5 star aluminum rims and im going to paint the recessed black, anyone ever try it and if so how did it turn out....

Thanks Tom

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Try using the plasti dip method b4 u start painting to see if u like the idea 1st. If u don't like then u can peel the plasti dip off. There are tons of threads on plasti dipping wheels and all sorts of other things.

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
silvernclean said:
Try using the plasti dip method b4 u start painting to see if u like the idea 1st. If u don't like then u can peel the plasti dip off. There are tons of threads on plasti dipping wheels and all sorts of other things.

Ill give that a try, i have rim painted a set of montecarlo ss rims and in the end they looked pretty sharp i will look more into plasti dip.. was wondering about the polishing too i will post a pic and you can tel me more about thoughts

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
I stiped my ss rims. They look great untill salt time. I used aircraft stripper then mothers pollish to clean them up.

Attachments

• P1010038%20(2).jpg
    P1010038%20(2).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 10

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
View attachment 19871
here is what i am working with, im going to polish the hell out of the outside and the middle inlay i was going to do either black or color match the burgandy of the truck, if this freaking weather would ever cooperate with me i could get started...
Any input or critisizem would be much appreciated

Attachments

• photo (20).jpg
    photo (20).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo (19).jpg
    photo (19).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 6

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
This is the best polish I have ever used.

Wenol Metal Polish, auto metal polish, chrome polish, care metal polish, aluminum polish

Used this stuff when I worked for my uncle, would polish pulley's, tensioner's, etc. Start with green scotch bright to remove any machine marks, then use a 1500-2000 grit sanding block get a nice smooth surface, then polish surfaces by hand. If we needed extreme polish I would break out the polishing wheel. We could get things looking like chrome if we could work the metal pretty good.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Anyone ever strip their rims and then re-clear them themselves? I have the factory 16", and they are looking pretty bad

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
I plasti-diped my stock wheels too.. awesome look. id deffinitly recomend it and u cant beat the price :thumbsup:

hitman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Anyone ever strip their rims and then re-clear them themselves? I have the factory 16", and they are looking pretty bad

was wondering that myself...can i just run a few coats of clear over them?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
If ur gonna clear them yourself go to advance etc... and get the clear for wheels. Don't use normal clear. the heat from the wheels and abuse of driving will make the clear peel off. My 2 cents.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
silvernclean said:
If ur gonna clear them yourself go to advance etc... and get the clear for wheels. Don't use normal clear. the heat from the wheels and abuse of driving will make the clear peel off. My 2 cents.

Might be worth a shot, the clear is peeling really bad on my wheels from the wheel weights being put on the outside. Would love to just throw a set of SS wheels on and Plasti-Dip these for winter use, but the wife keeps vetoing that plan

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
03TB93 said:
I plasti-diped my stock wheels too.. awesome look. id deffinitly recomend it and u cant beat the price :thumbsup:

Plasti Dip frees up money for bigger and better things Im right there with you. I have thought about stripping my ss rims ...chickened out

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Plasti Dip frees up money for bigger and better things Im right there with you. I have thought about stripping my ss rims ...chickened out

did u plasti dip the SS wheels? whatever u did to them they look sick black like that :thumbsup: love the white on black look

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
03TB93 said:
did u plasti dip the SS wheels? whatever u did to them they look sick black like that :thumbsup: love the white on black look

Yeah me and another user YOUNG dove into the plasti dip world my write up is in my signature below. Im going about 3 months not a single issue

IMAG0222.jpg

View attachment 19877

Attachments

• IMAG0302.jpg
    IMAG0302.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
man they look great for sure.. did u put like 100 coats on? i probably put about 10 coats on my wheels and i can still see little specks if aluminum coming thru. doesnt look bad at all, gives them a cool look. i was wondering if i should completly put a thick coat of it on though,, thinking it would make them more durable? any thought on the thickness?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
03TB93 said:
man they look great for sure.. did u put like 100 coats on? i probably put about 10 coats on my wheels and i can still see little specks if aluminum coming thru. doesnt look bad at all, gives them a cool look. i was wondering if i should completly put a thick coat of it on though,, thinking it would make them more durable? any thought on the thickness?

4-5 Your coats. Yours sounds too light. If you don't find your answer there YOUNG has your wheels maybe hes got some ideas, but to me it sounds like your too thin. If you got more ?s PM or post on that thread lol
http://gmtnation.com/f33/plasti-dip-guide-wheels-2129/

:hijack:
Sorry original Poster kinda steered this off topic my fault!

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
My old jimmy had a gold accent and the standard clearcoat silver face. I liked the color combination especially as it was difficult for me to find any wheel style that I felt looked good with the blue and gold combination.

I think an accent with a color match to burgandy or even the gold would look good.

P1060243.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online