SOLVED! Po1482

filthyfingers

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
2002 Envoy SES light been coming on for a week now. Clear the code and it’s back in a day or two. I did lose headlights a few weeks ago. Switched the solid state relay with the fan clutch relay and the lights are back on. Now can’t get the cooling fan code to go away. Bought 4 relays now from different sources and manufacturers. No luck.
I’m getting worried, state inspection is due next month. Thanks

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The big thing you are going to hear, replace relays only with the ACDelco parts. Go to a salvage yard, and grab a handful, see if you get different results with that.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So before you swapped the relays you had no troubles with the cooling fan system? Have you tried putting the one you swapped to the headlights back in the fan slot and try the new one(s) at the headlights?

Reactions: Mooseman

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
BUT... the relay is only one part of the circuit. You might consider checking the wiring with a meter to see if anything "jumps" out at you. The code seems to indicates an open or short condition happening... so might have to "wiggle while you test".... the wires of course... :smile:

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The wiring on the fan clutch itself should also be inspected.

fancltchshrtedwires-jpg.85555

filthyfingers

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
So before you swapped the relays you had no troubles with the cooling fan system? Have you tried putting the one you swapped to the headlights back in the fan slot and try the new one(s) at the headlights?
I’m too chicken. I got headlights, most important thing. Prolly need to man up.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I am not clear on the meaning of the 1482. I have seen it said it is related to the output between the control module/relay and the fan. But this description from the gm.gsi website appears to say the issue is between the PCMs ODM (output driver module) and the relay/module. Thats the only system status that fits the description of the failure "low during operation and near B+ when " off""Screenshot_20211109-180300.png

Last edited:

filthyfingers

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I am not clear on the meaning of the 1482. I have seen it said it is related to the output between the control module/relay and the fan. But this description from the gm.gsi website appears to say the issue is between the PCMs ODM (output driver module) and the relay/module. Thats the only system status that fits the description of the failure "low during operation amd near B+ when " off""View attachment 102186 you
I am not clear on the meaning of the 1482. I have seen it said it is related to the output between the control module/relay and the fan. But this description from the gm.gsi website appears to say the issue is between the PCMs ODM (output driver module) and the relay/module. Thats the only system status that fits the description of the failure "low during operation amd near B+ when " off""View attachment 102186
I’m not clear either. Pretty sure that if this was a relay problem, it would have been fixed by now.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you might try "twisting" the contact pins on the relay. It might be that the socket in the fuse box has an issue where by the pins are not making good / stable contact with the receiver connectors. By twisting the pin a bit, it "broadens" contact "width" to help improve contact.

Reactions: filthyfingers

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
An On Topic Thread with more suggestions:

filthyfingers

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I’m too chicken. I got headlights, most important thing. Prolly need to man up.
For clarity and continuity, I lost the headlights weeks ago. No replacement relay ever worked to restore the lights. Also there was never a SES light.
A few days later I swapped relays and the lights came back. BUT then the P1482 appeared. I’ve continued to try different relays in the cooling fan socket but the process is lengthy, clearing the fault then waiting to see if the fault returns. It always does.
As suggested above, today I swapped the relays to the original position and as before, no headlights. Code has been cleared. Now we wait. Back at square one. I’ll continue to buy and return relays. Be interesting to see if the SES stays off.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
For clarity and continuity, I lost the headlights weeks ago. No replacement relay ever worked to restore the lights. Also there was never a SES light.
A few days later I swapped relays and the lights came back.

This right here makes me doubt your replacement parts suitability to the task.

Again I say I am willing to mail you a couple used ones that have tested good.

• Love
Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

filthyfingers

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
SOLVED! Thanks again to TJ and everyone else! What a long and difficult process! I purchased 6 new relays, in about six weeks all different manufacturers and one was from GM. Three from area auto parts stores and three different relays from Amazon. Of course TJ’s testing yielded excellent results. In the meantime I found only one relay that worked out of the box. It was a Standard RY560 that is sold as a fuel pump relay, but does cross to GM 15016745. The GMC dealer wanted to sell me one out of a junk drawer for $60 and NO RETURN!
Donation to the ‘nation!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online