Please help, rack and pinion problem?!?

Kramratan

Original poster
May 12, 2012
My 02 chevy trailblazer is have a power steering leak on the passenger side with a screech when you turn the car on and when you turn the wheel. The rack and pinion I believe is the problem because the tire rod, that flexor is releasing power steering fluid. I know they come is two sizes but not sure, can you please help? Also do I have to buy the seal set too? Any recommendations on places to buy or go to in NYC. Thank you, this has been a pain in my a*s!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The tie rod ends come in two sizes, 14 and 16mm. That refers to the threaded part of the outer tie rod end that connects it to the inner tie rod end. You take your 15mm wrench and try to put it over the threads. If it goes over, you have the smaller size that was used on early 2002 production models. If it does not go over, you have the larger size, which is good because it's stronger and the junkyards have more parts available if you're going to put on a used rack and pinion.

You may be able to fix your problem with ONLY the seal set, but have you ever removed and rebuilt a rack and pinion system before? You should download the manuals from HERE and decide if you have the time and tools to do such a project. It's not as easy as just changing tie rod ends.

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
if I have an 02 with the 14mm threads and my rack is pooched, if the 16mm rack is more durable is it as simple as buying it and installing it, or am i stuck with the 14mm?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not that simple, because the steering knuckles are different too. My buddy, Teebes, tried to upgrade his 2002 and was thwarted. Just carry spare tie rod ends of the right size if you offroad enough to be breaking them like Teebes and me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online