Please help,HID relay mod...something is badly wrong.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Ok so I had HIDS in my truck for a few weeks,had issues of firing and flickering so I did the Cap mod. After than I still had a little problem with the lights so I did the relay mod,bought the complete plug and play kit,hooked power and ground up and just wired one side to test it,hit unlock on my remote and headlights wouldnt come on,checked everything and decided to take everything back to the way I had it,hit unlock and headlights still wont come on. So I turn the truck to the ON position and the headlights come on but still will NOT come on when I hit the unlock on the remote for my alarm. also I noticed,when I disconnect the power from the battery and hook it up back the headlights click and turn on for a split second and back off,I can keep touching the power to the battery and they will keep clicking on/off rapidly. Can someone PLEASE help me out? Im very frustrated with this "simple job" that turned into a nightmare lol.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
ALso just to add I switched the 45-46 relays with no luck,my tails arent coming on with the remote either. Ive basically lost ALL DRLs.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
So when you hit unlock on the fob your lights wont turn on...do the side markers flash? How about when you lock and use the panic button what happens? When you turn your car on, do the lights come on automatically at night like there suppose to?

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Im not sure if the auto lights are working,but I do know nothing flashes when i hit the remote,when i turn the key forward they all come on,so i tried to hookup this relay harness one more time and went good till i plugged in the drivers side and immediately after i blew the smaller 10 amp fuse for the drivers headlight and the pass side 10 amp. so im going to the store to buy the replacements,obviously the prewired relay kit i bought is incorrectly wired. even after this this my headlights more than likely wont come on when hitting the alarm still.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Please fill out the info on your truck.

Does the harness you have connect to power in two places?

There have been many complaints about that harness blowing fuses.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
It has a power,ground and then the plug for one headlight and ballast for one side and plug for headlight and harness for the other side. I apologize its an 03 envoy.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
So...I guess the switch was acting up,now its working again as normal. When I hit unlock the headlights come one and of course flicker out. So now its back to completely normal BEFORE I hooked up the relay harness after replacing the headlight fuses. Is there some other relay harness I need since this one obviously doesnt want to work correctly? I cheaped out and bought one prewired on ebay but its exactly like every other one I saw people spending $30 ish for. and its actually a high quality well built harness. This is the exact harness I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/260818338327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
So after some research (should have looked first but was frustrated) It was the multiple inputs that were causing the fuses to blow. Im going to put everything back together with the relay harness and see how it acts. It almost seemed like they were still mis firing sometimes. Ive already done the cap mod,now relay mod.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
after cap mod and relay mod the drivers side still misfires sometimes and sometimes the pass side too.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
eutechnyx said:
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Isn't this the problem u just said earlier was fixed?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What HID kit did you get? A $30 ebay special?

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Well they still mis fire like crazy. They are cheap xentecs but I've read of same similar issues with ddm and others too.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
eutechnyx said:
They are cheap xentecs but I've read of same similar issues with ddm and others too.

I read to be wary of Xentecs and went with VVME :thumbsup:. I ordered my kits through VVME directly with a relay for the lows. Almost a month now with no problems. I did not do the cap or relay mod. My DRL and perimeter lighting still function [knock on wood].

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Canadian Mike said:
I read to be wary of Xentecs and went with VVME :thumbsup:. I ordered my kits through VVME directly with a relay for the lows. Almost a month now with no problems. I did not do the cap or relay mod. My DRL and perimeter lighting still function [knock on wood].

The HID's will work without the cap or DRL killer, but their life span will be shortened.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
The HID's will work without the cap or DRL killer, but their life span will be shortened.

That's why I use a relay harness with my lows. DRL's are mandatory in Canada.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Canadian Mike said:
That's why I use a relay harness with my lows. DRL's are mandatory in Canada.

:hijack: :confused: Mike, do you hear any buzzing from the relay harness, or your ballasts? That's usually the case when no cap mod, or DRL killer is done, and you send the PWM signal through the relay or ballasts.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
eutechnyx said:
Well they still mis fire like crazy. They are cheap xentecs but I've read of same similar issues with ddm and others too.

It doesn't matter which brand it is, if there is a problem with the wiring they will flicker/cut off/etc.

Do you have a DMM?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Blckshdw said:
:hijack: :confused: Mike, do you hear any buzzing from the relay harness, or your ballasts? That's usually the case when no cap mod, or DRL killer is done, and you send the PWM signal through the relay or ballasts.

Yuup. That's the reason I did the cap mod.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
eutechnyx said:
Yeah I have a dmm.

This is what I do.

Make one/both of them not work. Using the DMM, record the voltage at the drivers low beam connector @ the relay harness. Then record the voltage at the ballast of the side that isn't working, or both sides if they both aren't working. Back probe the connectors, don't unplug them. Post your results.:cool:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:

Mine will buzz and it's some what loud also...I usually just disable my drls every ride

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Ill report back asap with dmm results. When I removed the cap mod temporarily my hids buzzed so loud it was scary lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online