Play in the driver side of the rack

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

After beating up the outer tie rod ends with removal and installation of the new lower control arms I choose to replace both parts the inner and outer. I ran into an issue with play on the inner most part of the rack on the driver side. I've been chasing and eliminating all the knocks, vibration and squeaks in the front end and I would of never thought this would be one of them. So it looks like I'll be replacing the complete rack and pinion in the next couple of weeks. I also have to order a set of lines since there's a really small leak in 1 of them that's been there for year's but it's never concerned me because it's so small I never get a drop on the floor anywhere I park and I've only recently had to top of the ps fluid.

I've never ran into a issue like this before and was just wondering what you guys might have to say about this. I typically think "bad rack" when turning and hear and feel the gnarly grinding and pulsation in the steering wheel, I'm not getting that but this seems like something to be concerned about.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
20190601_181406.jpg
After carefully measuring the old set up I installed the new ends and test drove it to see if I was pulling to one side but it looks like I did good there. I'll be needing another alignment but that will have to wait until I replace the rack and pinion.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The play is between the pinion gear and the rack, and there needs to be a little there.
If it was in and out play, then yes, you need an inner tie rod.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
A few years ago... I purchased from Detroit Axle when replacing the Power Steering Rack for my Old 1993 Chevrolet Z-28 Camaro and I was impressed at just how Complete their R&R Kits were. So you might want to give this eBay offer some consideration if you have not as yet decided on a Vendor for your suspension repair:

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online