Play in steering gear box?

ecobyte

Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
Us
I recently bought an 04 Silverado z71 with 150k miles on it. All of the front end parts are aging, the alignment is off and after looking underneath the truck, I can already see that I need to replace the idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, upper intermediate shaft (upper intermediate shaft is shot) etc... I should say that some of the front end parts aren't terrible but they should be replaced as they are aging and I want to return my truck to ride and steer like new.

I already have a problem with the truck not accurately steering into a parking spot. The truck just won't turn very well and oftentimes will not turn in the same spot if I try again. I already spent over $600 in front end parts that I have not yet put on the truck. However, I am wondering if the steering gear box needs to be replaced. Again, I have not put any of the new front end parts on the truck yet so, I can't confirm or diagnose accurately as of yet.

If I grab the lower intermediate shaft by hand and wiggle it back and forth, there is a bit of play in the gearbox. I would have to say it's a 1/4" of play. Is this normal? Also, there is small power steering fluid leak from the hose leading to the gearbox.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.