Plasti-Dipped my 5.3i and 2.0T SAAB's

saabotage

Original poster
Apr 20, 2013
Just a couple pics of my 08 9-7x 5.3i and my 07 9-3 2.0T Anniversary. I plasti-dipped the badges and the grille on the car, this stuff is awesome and durable, i have power washed it several times. If you dont know what plastidip is visit dipyourcar.com.

saabotage

Original poster
Apr 20, 2013

love the way this truck looks when i drop the bags a bit. I debate lowering it but I do use it like a truck...

Sold this 02 Envoy to buy the 9-7x

ahhhhh Norther Michigan

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Great job on the Plasti-dipping! I'm a big fan of silver with black accents, it's the route I'm going (roughly) with mine.

Also, that was one sweet looking Voy, wish mine looked that good!!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
The saab with a 5.3 is nice!! Great pics man :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
After the horrid experience removing the plasti-dip from my hood....I doubt I could ever use the junk again. I guess it is good for testing a color change, but looks bad after awhile and is a bitch to remove. I would go powdercoat or actual paint if it were me.

The dark accents do look good on your rides.

saabotage

Original poster
Apr 20, 2013
Thanks guys!

And yes Hardtrailz, the long term effects are deff a concern to me. What happens to this stuff after baking in the sun for months? did it break apart when peeling it off? I do not plan on doing full panels on any of my cars, even doing light coats there is a little bit of orange peel and I am way too picky for that. I thought about doing the roof on the car black but I decided to go with a gloss black vinyl. I used a 3m vinyl tail light tint on the front corners of the car and the tail lights on both of them. This stuff is very stretchy when hit with a heat gun and removable. I did shave the 9-7x and 9-3 off of them for a cleaner look.

Summer wheels are off the car but I have a larger and wider set of anniversary wheels that will be plasti-dipped black before putting them back on next spring. A couple of guys at work have been plastidipping their wheels and I am impressed.

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
I was all about plasti dip when it first came about and i did my wheels, bumper steps, pillars and etc,,,

I wish i had never done it on anything that was of a large area because it is a bitch to take off, it peels but then breaks, it doesnt clean up well when you wash you car, and do not get any mud or anything more than normal road grime on the stuff because it will never look nice. small things like emblems and badges look great though.. IMHO

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Well remember dipyourcar also sells a spray that makes removing dip easy. My rims are still good. I just need to redo them because I got a bit of degreaser on them

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It came off in little bits and after days of picking at it, I soaked it down with bug and tar remover a few times and used a credit card to scrape it off. Sucked basically. Stuff is basically tar as far I I could tell. Esp how it ran when soaked with remover.

It did look like crap over time as pointed out. You get mud on it and it never really comes clean.

Was a good test, but man was it a pain at removal time. I may redo the hood with bedliner at some point.

For reference, I had this done on hood.

Vinyl stripe with plasti center.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
After doing some research, I read that a lot of people say to make sure you put on enough coats. If you only put on a couple, it actually makes it harder to take off because it brakes up instead of peeling off, which is a little counterintuitive.

Edit: btw that engine bay is so great looking

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
There was a couple cans or so on my hood. Seemed pretty thick.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
There was a couple cans or so on my hood. Seemed pretty thick.

NO. YOU DID IT WRONG!

lol j/k I'm about to dip my wheels but I'm thinking if I wanted to paint them in the future I'd probably get them media blasted first anyway. That ought to get it off, right?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its not that tough, but like old vinyl it comes off in lil bits. Blasting would annihilate the stuff.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
I have it on my grille bar and the first time didnt work out so well because the pressure washer got under it in one spot and pealed it up. The second round seems to be holding up much better. But then again i did clean up the bar a bit better and laid down two reasonable thickness coats and let them dry for 4 hrs between them and before reassembling the grille.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I pressure washed mine several times without issues. It didn't work well for removal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.