Plasti Dip front Bowtie

MTouz

Original poster
May 9, 2012
This was the first time using Plasti Dip. Was thinking I wanted to do my stock wheels with it, but figured I'd better start small. Really like the out come of it. Easy stuff to use.

First coat was real thin, kind of like a sticky coat then I applied 3 or 4 more coats heavier. All done in around an hour! :smile:

View attachment 20795

Attachments

• Trailblazer 002.jpg
    Trailblazer 002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Trailblazer 003.jpg
    Trailblazer 003.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Trailblazer 004.jpg
    Trailblazer 004.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Trailblazer 006.jpg
    Trailblazer 006.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 26

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
Bad ass! i love the way that crome border looks :cool: id deff do the stock wheels, i did mine like 4 months ago and the plasti dip hasnt peeled or anything,,, yet. love the look too. good luck man :thumbsup:

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
:iagree:

Looks great. Thought about plasti-dipping my bowtie too because it's pretty faded and I want something different.

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
Simon01 said:
:iagree:

Looks great. Thought about plasti-dipping my bowtie too because it's pretty faded and I want something different.

You deff should man!! this is how i usually tell who's a GMT member, i just look if the bow tie is a different color :biggrin:

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
CdnGMan said:
I wish I'd have done that instead of trying to pry the bowtie off and snapping it in two... :mad:

:rotfl::rotfl: dam man that really sucks!! i almost did that to mine as well, i had a feeling itd break so i didnt even mess with it. did you get a new one??

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
03TB93 said:
:rotfl::rotfl: dam man that really sucks!! i almost did that to mine as well, i had a feeling itd break so i didnt even mess with it. did you get a new one??

Nope... it's really not that bad actually... you can see it in the pics below...
I think when I head up to see Stef next month, I'll see if he can fill in the gaps for me and then we may be able to PlastiDip it...

View attachment 20810

View attachment 20811

Attachments

• IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 11

MTouz

Original poster
May 9, 2012
CdnGMan - If it was me I would finish taking off the bowtie and Plasti Dip anyways. Tape it off like I did....if it doesn't look right or you just don't like it peel it back off. It was $7.00 a can around here. That front grill is only held on by four or five claps real easy to snap off. Good Luck if you try it!

Thanks for the compliments to guys! :thumbsup:

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
CdnGMan said:
Nope... it's really not that bad actually... you can see it in the pics below...
I think when I head up to see Stef next month, I'll see if he can fill in the gaps for me and then we may be able to PlastiDip it...

O ya thats not bad at all. paint would deff cover the cracks tho. if you do it let us know how it turns out :thumbsup: love the rims btw :cool:

greekrockstar

Jan 21, 2012
I did the same thing as CdnGMan, from a distance it looks alright, I also did the rear bowtie on the lift gate. I wasn't a fan of the gold, rear came off easily but the front was a pain in the ass. Anyone have an easy way to remove the adhesive? I got it cleaned off by rubbing and rubbing until my fingers felt like they were gonna fall off. I plan on removing the door moldings this weekend but don't want to spend hours manually rubbing off adhesive.

Any ideas or tips?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well Done. Looks good.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
I like it, wish I hadn't broke my bowtie. Had it off when painting the grill, well it dropped it, a nice size piece broke off. I peeled the remaining off the base, trimed off the tabs, and painted satin black to match the grill. Its a bit smaller now.
View attachment 20836

Attachments

• DSCN0140.jpg
    DSCN0140.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 99

MTouz

Original poster
May 9, 2012
greekrockstar said:
I did the same thing as CdnGMan, from a distance it looks alright, I also did the rear bowtie on the lift gate. I wasn't a fan of the gold, rear came off easily but the front was a pain in the ass. Anyone have an easy way to remove the adhesive? I got it cleaned off by rubbing and rubbing until my fingers felt like they were gonna fall off. I plan on removing the door moldings this weekend but don't want to spend hours manually rubbing off adhesive.

Any ideas or tips?

I just used Tarminator spray to get off some tar or sap and green paint. Stuff worked great, I would imagine it having no issue removing adhesive. Its made by Stoner - Tarminator. Good Luck!....make it a warm day and the adhesive shouldn't be to bad to get to come off!

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Looks good bro, I got my bowtie painted matte black when I got the grille painted but I just might plasti my Texas edition emblems I have :undecided: I also removed my side moldings and rear bowtie as well and used goo-gone. Worked well but most of adhesive just can be peeled off by pulling it away from direction you want to remove and comes off smoothly but I will have the doors buffed outline from moldings just won't come off. Will post pics tomorrow

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
did the same on my tb.
only difference is that i used krylon fusion, satin black.
luckily for me, it was a nice warm day and the chrome inside my emblems had peeled quite a bit already.
no masking no real prep, other than removing the double sided tape holding it together.
i used some 2 part epoxy to hold it on when reassembling.
unfortunately on rear, the gold part fell off while driving, and im not about to give my dealer 40 bucks for a new one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online