Plans for more power. Suggestions?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys,
So as you know I was planning on trading in my TB for an X5 but it seems won't be going through with it. Pretty obvious reasons, one is this forum, second is modding from scratch so gonna cost me a whole lot. My two options are to trade in with a TBSS if the guy agrees to it or gonna try and unleash further power potential out of my ride. I'm no race freek but I need more.

What I have:

1- Custom Intake
2- PCM tune
3- resonator delete
4- supersparks

Plans?

1- New PCM4LESS efan setup (not confirmed. From what I understood is doesn't handle extreme heat environments which is the category I fall under lol)
2- Ported Throttle body
3- PCM Retune for some changes (gonna send in my stock PCM to bypass that whole security relearn procedure. It's gonna take me over a month to get an appointment for going with the recently discovered solution)
4- New PCMFORLESS intake

I think by doing this I reach my peak. I still end up paying less for the trade in which is a big plus and get more power. From what I know and I might be wrong is that the L6 gives about 220 at the wheels though claims are higher. How much gains would I be making on all of this with and without the efan setup.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
fadyasha said:
Hey guys,
So as you know I was planning on trading in my TB for an X5 but it seems won't be going through with it. Pretty obvious reasons, one is this forum, second is modding from scratch so gonna cost me a whole lot. My two options are to trade in with a TBSS if the guy agrees to it or gonna try and unleash further power potential out of my ride. I'm no race freek but I need more.

What I have:

1- Custom Intake
2- PCM tune
3- resonator delete
4- supersparks

Plans?

1- New PCM4LESS efan setup (not confirmed. From what I understood is doesn't handle extreme heat environments which is the category I fall under lol)
2- Ported Throttle body
3- PCM Retune for some changes (gonna send in my stock PCM to bypass that whole security relearn procedure. It's gonna take me over a month to get an appointment for going with the recently discovered solution)
4- New PCMFORLESS intake

I think by doing this I reach my peak. I still end up paying less for the trade in which is a big plus and get more power. From what I know and I might be wrong is that the L6 gives about 220 at the wheels though claims are higher. How much gains would I be making on all of this with and without the efan setup.

Well, for reference my swapped Supra put down 250 to the wheels with an eFan, 3" exhaust, and not much else. Some of it was the manual trans, but a good chunk was the efan too.
That's no where near the peak of the engine's potential though. Steve Polhill sells cam blanks on the vortec4200.com forum. A set of cams and a head port, and the motor will push over 350 hp at the flywheel. Add F/I and the sky's the limit.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Bit too advanced for me lol! Don't wanna go that far! I'd be more than happy with best responsiveness and at most 300hp. Not looking to race or drag! Just a ride that gives me what I need when floor it :wink:

Efans are out because of the extreme weather conditions. I'm pretty set on the new intake plus ported throttle body. That combined with the pcmtune I believe I'd be close to what I want.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
fadyasha said:
Bit too advanced for me lol! Don't wanna go that far! I'd be more than happy with best responsiveness and at most 300hp. Not looking to race or drag! Just a ride that gives me what I need when floor it :wink:

Efans are out because of the extreme weather conditions. I'm pretty set on the new intake plus ported throttle body. That combined with the pcmtune I believe I'd be close to what I want.

From what I have read the ported throttle body has little gains... Honestly I dont know if its worth the $300 but if it is, Iam definitly in. What settings do you have on your tune? I have mine set to 87 octane, and I am going to send it back for 93 octane, I plan to run Cat-Less and get that code removed, Also possibly try shift firmness 3...:crazy:
I am in the same boat your in.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I got it set to octane 93 but shiftness will keep at 2. Already Catless. Main reason is for the security problem I had. I'm sending in my original PCM this time to avoid the relearn procedure issue imported GMs face lol! I was gonna do it but the waiting list is forever and i'm thinking of a retune anyways soooo!

Also i dont think the torque management was touched or the Rev limiter. in Idle the RPM acts as stock still, won't go beyond 4 and takes its time getting there. I left it as tuners choice.

as for the TB I heard it has little gains as well but one of the members here bought it and is happy with it. I think a Tune + Intake + Deleted Resonator + Ported Throttle Body would make a difference all together.

I hope i'm right lol

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
fadyasha said:
I got it set to octane 93 but shiftness will keep at 2. Already Catless. Main reason is for the security problem I had. I'm sending in my original PCM this time to avoid the relearn procedure issue imported GMs face lol! I was gonna do it but the waiting list is forever and i'm thinking of a retune anyways soooo!

Also i dont think the torque management was touched or the Rev limiter. in Idle the RPM acts as stock still, won't go beyond 4 and takes its time getting there. I left it as tuners choice.

as for the TB I heard it has little gains as well but one of the members here bought it and is happy with it. I think a Tune + Intake + Deleted Resonator + Ported Throttle Body would make a difference all together.

I hope i'm right lol

The set up in my sig made a big difference. Besides the vibration at 1krpm in 1st gear I am very happy with the ported throttle body as it added a lot of responsiveness. The problem with "looking for more power" is you never want to stop. I started drooling at the cams reference and even followed the dead end link.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Pittdawg said:
The set up in my sig made a big difference. Besides the vibration at 1krpm in 1st gear I am very happy with the ported throttle body as it added a lot of responsiveness. The problem with "looking for more power" is you never want to stop. I started drooling at the cams reference and even followed the dead end link.

I know what you mean. It was your post that got me thinking about the throttle body. I went through that thread a million times and the good thing you don't need a retune either! That's in case I decide not to send in my PCM again lol

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
fadyasha said:

I hope i'm right lol

See my idle chagned to a little bit higher when I got my tune. Hows the tone of the exhasut at idle without the cat and driving? What does the deleted resonator do? I dont think it does anything performance wise, Just looks....:undecided:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Pittdawg said:

Where did you get your Exhaust manifold and resonator? Is the vibration bad in the throttle body?

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
03envoy said:
Where did you get your Exhaust manifold and resonator? Is the vibration bad in the throttle body?

I purchased a stock mani from gmpartsdirect, shipped it to extrudehone to get ported and polished and then shipped it to engineered applications to be ceramic coated. I purchased the resonator from Amazon. The vibration is not "bad" but I'd definately prefer it not to be present.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.