Pitted Rotor

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
So this weekend I was replacing the driverside front Wheel Bearing/Hub, to go with the passenger side one I did the weekend before (since I personally believe all suspension parts should be replaced in pairs) and when I pulled off the rotor on the drivers side the inside face was all pop marked with pits about like this picture I just found online

http://superstitiongold.com/lincoln/RotorRefinishing/Rotor Before.JPG

so obviously it's time for new brakes, but beyond that is there a reason one side of one rotor would do this and not the other side? Like an underlying problem that needs to be addressed to prevent this happening again or is it just the quality of the rotors that where on the TB when I bought it?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could just be poor rotors that caused that. I had a rotor on my old Camaro that had a pock mark appear in just the front face. Aside from looking a bit funny it didn't hurt anything (I monitored it for a while, nothing ever bad happened).

smt 59

This sounds and looks like the calipers may be seized or at least the slider bolts need lubrication , when the inside of the rotor is showing these signs or pitting this is the reason, pull out one of the bolts and check to see if lubricated, I would bet it's dry or very dark in colour if any is there.

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
I'll pull things apart this weekend and check out and re-lube all the slide pins front and rear, I did the fronts back when I installed the lowering kit last year, but I probably used the wrong type of lube from what I've read on the subject since then, been thinking about using this as an excuse to finally do the EXT front rotor upgrade, but as I understand it, that requires a 17" wheel minimum, is that right?

Edit: Also do the pistons just press back into the caliper or does it have to spin back in using some special tool?

edit 2: Never mind, I just went and watched a video to see how the pistons where pressed back in.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: xavierny25

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015

Question, I've started looking at rotors and I noticed the part numbers (or at least the ones I've compared) are different between the EXT 5.3's and the SS 6.0's, which should I go with when looking for rotors?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would go with the EXT version. Not sure what the difference is with SS but the EXT is the sure bet.

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
This sounds and looks like the calipers may be seized or at least the slider bolts need lubrication , when the inside of the rotor is showing these signs or pitting this is the reason, pull out one of the bolts and check to see if lubricated, I would bet it's dry or very dark in colour if any is there.

Oh Yeah, it was pretty dark but the slide pins weren't frozen up.

Since I'm doing the EXT brake upgrade and need to get the brackets I'm thinking about getting the PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers (since they come with a bracket and only cost about 10-15 bucks more then the brackets itself (which is quickly offset once you add in new slide pins and dustboots) compared to buying just the brackets. for the rest I'm thinking just some stock blank EXT rotors from the parts store and ceramic pads from the parts store.

Anyone have opinions on the pads and rotors, I can get the Z36 Power Stop pads for about the same cost (within a few bucks) as the Wearever Platinum Ceramics from Advance (after discounts) would they be worth getting over the ones from the parts store?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: mrrsm

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
here where the old rotors I pulled off the truck, the ones on the right where the driver side, the passenger side is on the left the close up rotor was the driver front and was what got me started on replacing everything to start with, the rear pads where below the wear indicator slit and the driver side rear inner pad was worn more then the outer pad so I guess it was a good thing I replaced EVERYTHING (calipers included).

Attachments

• 20160709_175045.jpg
    20160709_175045.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20160709_175050.jpg
    20160709_175050.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160709_175137.jpg
    20160709_175137.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20160709_175141.jpg
    20160709_175141.jpg